none
Mouse not functional in Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac

Question

• Hi, 

I'm having an issue with the Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac client. Since version 8.0.31 , when connecting to RemoteApp, the mouse does not respond when click (both left click, right click and drag don't respond). However, keyboard is still responsive. 

The RemoteApp menu itself is responsive, so I know that it's not the actual client that is having the specific problem.

Interestingly, anytime I revert back to version 8.0.31, everything works fine. But nothing newer than that version (version 8.0.32, 33, 34, and 35 all have that problem). Can someone point me in the right direction to resolve this issue?

I have created a screencast to demonstrate the problem, and also demonstrate that reverting back to version 8.0.31 fixes said problem. 

http://www.screencast.com/t/n2P4BnEtU

Any guidance to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated! 

Monday, October 31, 2016 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

What's the version of your MAC OS, is it up-to-date?

Have you tried to change a mouse to have a test?

You could try our beta application. We are working on a new experience of our app and it comes already with a few new features:

https://aka.ms/rdmac-preview

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:33 PM
  • Hi Alvin, 

Thanks for your response. 

My Mac OS is MacOS Sierra 10.12. (All latest updates installed. Also note, that this issue has been happening for every update after 8.0.31 (8.0.31 is the only one that works for me, everything after that, has that same behavior)

I have tried to change the mouse, but the problem is that it happens regardless of the device I'm using. both t trackpad and an external mouse both have the same behavior. 

As for the beta version. I've had it installed since the beginning, but it still doesn't support RemoteApp, so it's not useful in this case. 

Other thoughts?

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to confirm and report this behavior to the development team.

Besides, 8.0.36 will be released soon, please wait and see if this will fix the issue.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 3:09 AM
  • <g class="gr_ gr_10 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="10" id="10">Thanks</g> Alvin!

I will keep an eye out on version 8.0.36 to see if it fixed. But if history is any indication, the next version will probably have the same behavior as the previous 4 (broken) versions. Hopefully, if the developers know about it, they may be able to address this issue, as I'm not sure how long I'll actually be able to keep using version 8.0.31 without requiring an update. 

Thanks again, and looking forward to hearing back!

• Edited by Babylon78 Wednesday, November 02, 2016 6:28 AM removing weird html translation in the message
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

I will keep you posted if there is any useful information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

8.0.36 was released, please check and report back.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 6:14 AM
  • I have the same problem, with the latest Sierra update 10.12.1 

Have tried with version 8.0.36. 
    Tuesday, November 08, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Hi Alvin, 

Unfortunately, the issue persists on version 8.0.36. 

Interestingly, it worked for a few minutes when I first upgraded, and it stopped working. I had seen this behavior before immediately after upgrading to the previous version (8.0.32 - 35)

Other ideas to addressing this issue? 

Wednesday, November 09, 2016 1:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I will report this issue to the development team.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, November 11, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Thanks

Alvin! looking forward to hearing back! 

Cheers,

Friday, November 11, 2016 5:46 PM
  • I use RD to connect to a remote application. What I mean by this is that I do not have a desktop but rather a application window appear. 

Login and application loading works fine. In fact the application can be used via keyboard only. However, the mouse does not work. No items are clickable. In fact the application window is not movable. 

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm that if the issue occurs after upgrading the application to 8.0.38.

Does this issue occur on other remote applications? Please check if only the specific remote application is experiencing the issue or all the remote applications are affected.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:31 AM
  • I only have access to one remote app. Before the upgrade to 8.0.38 the remote app functioned as expected.

I have also identified that the issue only happens when connected to an external monitor. 

After a full reboot, I can still recreate this issue.

Remote desktops on the other hand work just fine.
    • Edited by Sjcire Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:41 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Dear All,

Today I realised that when I plug into my MacBook Pro an external display all of the windows that were opened via Microsoft RDP client becoming useless. I can't click in, I can't see the cursor and in addition, I can't use my keyboard.

If I use only one display, the original built-in one on my Macbook Pro, everything is okay and working well without any problem. Is there any clue how to overturn this bug? I have not restricted any rights, nor I modified any settings. I tried to close all the background applications moreover, I restarted the computer several times.

Thank you for your help,

Zoliqa

Settings: Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces is ticked ON. 

RDP client version: 8.0.38

OS running: 10.12.3 (OS X Sierra)

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:30 PM
  • This bug has been there for a number of versions already (at least since 8.0.33). I've been posting the issue here since that time, but there is no bug fix so far.

The latest thread about it: Mouse not working in remote apps

rosch

• Edited by rosch Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:29 AM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:29 AM
  • @Alvin, this bug has been there for a long time now, if multiple monitors are connected: Mouse not working in remote apps

rosch

Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hi Rosch,

I have reported it to the product team and they have reviewed briefly but have no reproduce on their side yet.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Hi,                      

I have reported it to the product team and they have reviewed briefly but have no reproduce on their side yet.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:16 AM
  • Hello Babylon,

we are sorry we could not solve your issue so far. We have some pointers on the issue as additional users have reported. Can you tell us if you are using multiple monitors? If so what is the set-up and resolution?

Thank you.

Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:18 AM
    Owner
  • Hi there, thanks for following up on this. 

To answer your questions, I am using both a single monitor, as well as both, but that doesn't seem to be a factor in the problem. It even happens when I'm using my native Macbook Pro display, which is set to Scaled (More Space)

I have been attempting to connect with every new release that comes out, but alas, I always find myself reverting back to 8.0.31 as this is the only version that seems to work. 

I haven't yet tried 8.0.38, but I'm not too hopeful :) will report back if something miraculously works with the last version, otherwise, please assume that it's still broken. 

Thanks again. Would LOVE to have a solution to this issue!

• Edited by Babylon78 Saturday, April 01, 2017 2:41 AM
    Saturday, April 01, 2017 2:25 AM
  •  I have installed 8.0.38, and surprisingly things seem to be better now. So far I haven't experienced any of the behavior that I had in the past. I will keep testing, and report back if I see further problems with it. 
    • Edited by Babylon78 Saturday, April 01, 2017 6:15 PM
    Saturday, April 01, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Hello again, 

I've had a chance to test your theory about the multiple monitors, and sure enough, the issue seems to happen when I connect the second monitor. (no mouse response). once you disconnect the second monitor, things seem to work ok. 

Is this something that you guys are currently working on?

The resolution on my native MacBook Pro is set to Scaled (More Space). The second monitor is a 32" HP Envy, at 2560x1440 resolution. 

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide. 

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Hello Sjrcire!

Can you contact us under following email address so we can have a closer look with you at this issue?

Rdios@microsoft.com

Do not forget to link to this conversation so we have context on the issue.

Thank you.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:21 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Sjcire!

We are looking for further information as we cannot reproduce your issue:

- are you attaching the additional monitor after you have established a remote connection?

If so this behavior is by design. You need to sign out and establish a fresh connection after you have attached the second monitor. The reason is that our app does not support dynamic resolution change which allows to adapt to additional space you get with additional monitor. If this is not the case please tell us:

- What macOS version are you using.

- How do you have positioned your monitors?

Thank you.

Friday, April 21, 2017 5:40 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Eva,

in order to reproduce the issue:

1. Set up a Remote-App in a Remote desktop server (2012R2 or 2016).

2. Use a MacBook Pro with no external monitors attached to start the remote app

Everything should be working as expected - you should be able to work inside the remote app.

3. Connect one or more external monitors to the MacBook Pro

4. Start the Remote App again

Now, you will not be able to do anything inside the remote app.

This behavior shows as well, if you leave the remote app running and attach/detach external monitors while the remote app is open. As soon, as an external monitor is present, it is not possible to work with the remote app anymore. As soon as the external monitors are disconnected, the remote app functions again.

rosch

Friday, April 28, 2017 9:43 AM
  • How to reproduce:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/313919fe-8744-433c-b64d-1a608e1ef63c/version-8038-remote-app-does-not-respond-to-mouse?forum=winRDc

rosch

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Last week I realized, that I have the same issue.
    Tuesday, May 02, 2017 1:32 PM
  • Alvin, I understand this is with the development team, and they're looking at it. However, we are getting more and more complaints from our clients regarding this issue, and our only suggestion is for them to roll back 7 version behind. Yes, 7!!! Why has this issue not been addressed after 7 releases?

We need some specific information regarding this, and when it will be addressed please. We have given your team ample time to address. Please don't throw us to the curb.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter

• Edited by Babylon78 Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:42 PM