DPM 2010 and SharePoint item-level recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of the advertised features of DPM 2010 is that a SharePoint Recovery Farm is no longer needed to do item-level recovery.

How is DPM 2010 actually doing the recovery "under the hood"?  Obviously it still has to restore the entire SQL database - but once that is done, how does it pull the item out?  Is it creating a temporary Web Application on SharePoint, mounting the content DB and pulling the item out?  If this is the case, what does it call the Web Application?  What port does it choose?  Does it completely clean up after itself?  There are lots of implications to temporarily creating a Web Application on a production SharePoint farm (and lots of potential for failure).

I'm just trying to understand whether DPM 2010 is actually manipulating my production SharePoint farm (which I find to be a bit dangerous) or whether it is able to pull the item out of the database without altering the SharePoint server.

If it does need to "touch" my production farm then I'll probably stick with the recovery farm (which I know is still an option).  I'm very interested to know how it works.

Cheers,
    David

• Moved by Parag Agrawal Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:59 AM SP q (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, October 4, 2010 11:32 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

SharePoint 2010 supports another way for granular restores called unattached recovery.  DPM 2010's item level recovery does the same when recovery farm is not used. Any content database can be attached to the farm without actually adding it to the farm. This way you can browse the items in this database and perform export and import operations of the items.  DPM does not create any new web application, instead the items in the database are present under central web application. The temporary database created during recovery will be deleted at the end of the recovery, and since it is not actually added to farm, there is no need to delete from the farm. So, you can perform item-level recoveries without recovery farm!

Regards

Guru.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

SharePoint 2010 supports another way for granular restores called unattached recovery.  DPM 2010's item level recovery does the same when recovery farm is not used. Any content database can be attached to the farm without actually adding it to the farm. This way you can browse the items in this database and perform export and import operations of the items.  DPM does not create any new web application, instead the items in the database are present under central web application. The temporary database created during recovery will be deleted at the end of the recovery, and since it is not actually added to farm, there is no need to delete from the farm. So, you can perform item-level recoveries without recovery farm!

Regards

Guru.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Hi Guru,

Very interesting, thank you!  I had not heard of the "unattached recovery" feature in SharePoint 2010 - I will look into it.

Cheers,
    David

Saturday, October 9, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Can you someone tell me where I can find this unattached recovery option?  looking into creating a recovery farm at this time as the other option.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Hi nf69,

The unattached recovery farm is a feature of SharePoint 2010. It is not a feature of DPM so you will find this in SharePoint 2010. DPM is able to utilize this feature when doing item level restores. As Guru Prasad N explained this is done through DPM when recovery farm is not used in the restore process. You will see this option when you go through the DPM restore wizard.

To further understand SharePoint’s unattached recovery visit the links below. The first link explains how to do a unattached recovery directly in central administration and the second link explains more about unattached recovery.

http://www.sathishtk.com/blog/post/2010/03/30/Unattached-Content-Database-Recovery-in-SharePoint-2010.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ee518668

• Proposed as answer by BuchatechMVP Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:47 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:47 PM
  • I'll take a peek.

Thanks

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:47 PM