Win 7 stating missing DLLs on startup and NIC not functioning RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Gateway DX4822 pc with Windows 7 64bit home edition that has recently went haywire. When ever I boot it up, it comes up fine but it states that its missing Wintrust.dll, Wininet.dll, and if I try to launch IE, I get a message it's missing Urlmon.dll. It shows there is no network connection and if I go to the network and sharing center, it shows a status message "The dependency service or group failed to start.". I've also ran MS Security Essentials full scan and it didnt find any viruses. I've tried to install the most up to date TrendMicro Office Scan but it prompts me its not able to uninstall the Norton Internet Security. I try to manually uninstall it and it states the Imagehlp.dll is missing. I have another pc with those DLL's so I swapped them and still have same issue. I've also tried registering the DLL's via regsvr32 in CMD. It will register some of the DLL's but not all. I then reboot the pc and still get the same prompts that Dll's are missing. I've ran a bat file to reset all the DLL's and still no luck. I try to run the repair system and it gives me a prompt that it cannot because of external hard drives attached but I have none attached. I've tried to delete the pending.xml in the Windows folder but I do not have permission to do so. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:46 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check whether your Windows 7 Home Edition disk is available. If so, you can perform an In-Place Upgrade to repair the system.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, I would like to check whether you have installed some programs or changed the settings before this issue occurred?

Meanwhile, I suggest try the following:

1. Perform a system restore since this issue happened recently.

2. Use System File Checker tool to scan and repair the system files

3. Install the latest drivers for the NIC

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:44 AM
  • I updated the NIC drivers at one point and still was not able make a netowrk connection. At one point after the driver update I tried a system restore and it only went back to pre-installation of NIC driver. I tried the sfc /scannow but it didnt find any errors. I've tried going in and uninstalling any programs I feel it doesnt need or that have recently been installed but i get the error, imagehlp.dll is missing so I am not able to uninstall any programs. I was thinking that my best bet was going to be to try and reinstall the system files from a Win7 CD but i get the error, please disconnect any external devices and reboot when i try to run System Repair. The Win7 CD i have is Pro but the pc OS is Win7 Home Edition. I have another laptop with Home Edition but when I used some of those files to replace the "missing" or "corrupted" ones, it doesnt seem to fix the issue.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Hi,

Please check whether your Windows 7 Home Edition disk is available. If so, you can perform an In-Place Upgrade to repair the system.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:02 AM