none
Errors and tape drive question??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guy,

I having alots problem with the software.

My list of question and problem;

1) Can the tape library detetcted in the DPM, create Group or Pool that i can assign tape to??

As now, the DPM is picking the Tapes randomly.

Eg: Create Svr1 group with assigned tape 1 to 5, create a backup job with the group created.

2) Is the a Automated way to mark expire tape as free?/

After the retaination period, the tapes turns to Expire. In order to use back the tape, i have to manually mark the tape as "free'

3) Is there any ways to extend the trail period???

4) After adding the WBS to the DPM server, i still unable to backup the System Status to tape or even to SAN storage??

System status can't be found in WBS console also, is this correct?

The error log i captured;

Type:    Consistency check

Description:      DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 546, WSB Error Code:  0x8079005F). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

More information

End time:          6/9/2011 11:50:01 AM

Start time:         6/9/2011 11:49:50 AM

Time elapsed:   00:00:10

Data transferred:           -

Cluster node     -

Source details:  Computer\System Protection

Protection group members:       1

Details

Protection group:          Protection Group System Status

Items scanned:  0

Items fixed:       0

*****************************************************************************

Type:    Tape backup

Description:      DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 546, WSB Error Code:  0x8079005F). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

More information

End time:          6/9/2011 10:51:24 AM

Start time:         6/9/2011 10:51:05 AM

Time elapsed:   00:00:18

Data transferred:           -

Cluster node     -

Source details:  Computer\System Protection

Protection group members:       1

Details

Protection group:          Protection Group System Status

Library: Exabyte Magnum 224

Tape Label (Barcode):   Unibkup SQL Database-00000014 (None)

Please Please advise, as the trial period is ending soon.

Thanks 

Simon Hoo
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1)  Can the tape library detetcted in the DPM, create Group or Pool that i can assign tape to??
    A1)  No - DPM has no concept of tape pools, it will use any free tape available, which means less administrative overhead.

Q2)  Is the a Automated way to mark expire tape as free?
    A2)   Dpm WILL re-use expired tapes, but only if there are no free tapes.  DPM favors free tapes over expired tapes becase you can still recover data from expired tapes until they are overwritten.

Q3) Is there any ways to extend the trail period???
    A3)  No - once the evaluation expires, you must upgrade to retail product, it's advised you upgrade BEFORE the evaluation expires - it's simpler.

Q4) After adding the WBS to the DPM server, i still unable to backup the System Status to tape or even to SAN storage??
    A4) MessageId    = 0x8079005F
    SymbolicName = BLB_E_BACKUP_TARGET_PATH_NOT_FOUND
    ERROR - The specified backup location could not be found or is not a supported backup storage location.

Please check the location of the backup file -
    1. On the protected computer, open PSDatasourceConfig.xml in an XML or text editor. PSDatasourceConfig.xml is typically located at install path\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources.

2. Check the <FilesToProtect> value - the default should be <FilesToProtect>C:\WindowsImageBackup\*</FilesToProtect>

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Hi

System State backup relies on the Windows backup service to perform the backup.  So if Windows server backup is failing, then you need to troubleshoot that.  The only thing that is configurable is where the systemstate backup folder resides and that is controlled in the PSdataSourcesConfig.xml explained above.

To test windows server backup outside of DPM run this command from an administrative command prompt and see if it displays any additional errors:

wbadmin.exe start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:C:

backup logs are located in 'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup

If the error isn't self expainatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

Once Wbadmin can take a succesfull systemstate backup, DPM systemstate backups should succeed.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Simonhoo79 Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1)  Can the tape library detetcted in the DPM, create Group or Pool that i can assign tape to??
    A1)  No - DPM has no concept of tape pools, it will use any free tape available, which means less administrative overhead.

Q2)  Is the a Automated way to mark expire tape as free?
    A2)   Dpm WILL re-use expired tapes, but only if there are no free tapes.  DPM favors free tapes over expired tapes becase you can still recover data from expired tapes until they are overwritten.

Q3) Is there any ways to extend the trail period???
    A3)  No - once the evaluation expires, you must upgrade to retail product, it's advised you upgrade BEFORE the evaluation expires - it's simpler.

Q4) After adding the WBS to the DPM server, i still unable to backup the System Status to tape or even to SAN storage??
    A4) MessageId    = 0x8079005F
    SymbolicName = BLB_E_BACKUP_TARGET_PATH_NOT_FOUND
    ERROR - The specified backup location could not be found or is not a supported backup storage location.

Please check the location of the backup file -
    1. On the protected computer, open PSDatasourceConfig.xml in an XML or text editor. PSDatasourceConfig.xml is typically located at install path\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources.

2. Check the <FilesToProtect> value - the default should be <FilesToProtect>C:\WindowsImageBackup\*</FilesToProtect>

Friday, June 10, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for reply my questions.

I confuse on your answer on A4, i'm able to backup the local SQL and folders from the server without any error.

Is only the System Status that is failing, i have update the windows to the latest patches.

What am i missing here???

Please advise.

Thanks

Simon Hoo
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Hi

System State backup relies on the Windows backup service to perform the backup.  So if Windows server backup is failing, then you need to troubleshoot that.  The only thing that is configurable is where the systemstate backup folder resides and that is controlled in the PSdataSourcesConfig.xml explained above.

To test windows server backup outside of DPM run this command from an administrative command prompt and see if it displays any additional errors:

wbadmin.exe start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:C:

backup logs are located in 'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup

If the error isn't self expainatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

Once Wbadmin can take a succesfull systemstate backup, DPM systemstate backups should succeed.

• Marked as answer by Simonhoo79 Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for answering all my question and problems.

Thank you.

Simon Hoo
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:26 AM