Clock Drift on Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• So I've been having issues with Clock Drift on a couple of servers my team monitors. It shows 17.2 seconds off, and no matter what I do, it refuses to fix. I've run commands through command prompt such as w32tm /resync. I looked on an article listed on this website and did 

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org 2.pool.ntp.org",0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
    w32tm /config /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time
    w32tm /resync /nowait

Every time, it says it's been completed successfully, but never actually changed the time. Any help?

Friday, January 18, 2019 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you if it is Active Directory environment.

In general, there are several options for Windows Time service to use for synchronization. A basic one is:
    based on a domain hierarchy uses the AD DS domain hierarchy to find a reliable source with which to synchronize time.

If so, the computer that holds the primary domain controller (PDC) emulator operations master role, located in the forest root domain, holds the position of best time source, unless another reliable time source has been configured. And, it is typically configured to retrieve time from an external NTP server or hardware device.

In short, the PDC FSMO at the forest root domain will synchronize from an external time server. All other domain controllers and domain members should synchronize from the domain hierarchy. 

Using below CMD lines to check the time source and state:
    w32tm /query /source
    w32tm /monitor

On PDC, configure it to sync with reliable external time source. Please reference blog “It’s Simple!” – Time Configuration in Active Directory for detail steps:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nepapfe/2013/03/01/its-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory/

On member server, using below CMD lines to configure it to sync from the domain hierarchy:
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:DOMHIER /update
    w32tm /resync /nowait
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 21, 2019 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you if it is Active Directory environment.

In general, there are several options for Windows Time service to use for synchronization. A basic one is:
    based on a domain hierarchy uses the AD DS domain hierarchy to find a reliable source with which to synchronize time.

If so, the computer that holds the primary domain controller (PDC) emulator operations master role, located in the forest root domain, holds the position of best time source, unless another reliable time source has been configured. And, it is typically configured to retrieve time from an external NTP server or hardware device.

In short, the PDC FSMO at the forest root domain will synchronize from an external time server. All other domain controllers and domain members should synchronize from the domain hierarchy. 

Using below CMD lines to check the time source and state:
    w32tm /query /source
    w32tm /monitor

On PDC, configure it to sync with reliable external time source. Please reference blog “It’s Simple!” – Time Configuration in Active Directory for detail steps:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nepapfe/2013/03/01/its-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory/

On member server, using below CMD lines to configure it to sync from the domain hierarchy:
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:DOMHIER /update
    w32tm /resync /nowait
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 21, 2019 6:44 AM
  • So I've been having issues with Clock Drift on a couple of servers my team monitors. It shows 17.2 seconds off, and no matter what I do, it refuses to fix. I've run commands through command prompt such as w32tm /resync. I looked on an article listed on this website and did 

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org 2.pool.ntp.org",0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
    w32tm /config /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time
    w32tm /resync /nowait

Every time, it says it's been completed successfully, but never actually changed the time. Any help?

Hi Matthew,

Are these server VM's (Hyper-V) ?

Regards,

Antoine

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:55 AM
  • Thanks! Those commands gave me the output, VM IC Time Synchronization, which showed me it was in Hyper-V! Thanks for the help!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:12 PM
  • They are. The person above showed me the command to run, and once I did that, it showed me the issue was within Hyper-V.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

Blog “Time Synchronization in Hyper-V” describes detail explanation about time sync for Hyper-V VMs, just for your reference:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2010/11/19/time-synchronization-in-hyper-v/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:31 AM