Multiple Disk imaging and SteadyState RRS feed

• Question

• We are about to "roll out" SteadyState on over 100 PC'S in a Library environment.

We have only one user account set up, configured and locked down in SteadyState.

Can sombody tell me the most efficient was to prepare the computer for disk imaging by our PC supplier and how to limit the amount of work when setting up the subsequently imaged PC's.

Thanks in advanvce

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Macaefc,

The following procedure is just for your reference: 

Please understand that Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to its physical layout on the hard disk. We do not recommend turning on it before creating an image. This issue has been described in SteadyState Handbook.

Another known issue is if a user profile is locked or ever locked, the SteadyState restrictions will not work after the image is deployed to other systems. Thus, we cannot lock the user profile before You can refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1984622&SiteID=69

Based on the above information, the general steps to deploy the system with SteadyState are:

Step 1: Install SteadyState on an Sysprep environment.

Step 2: Create a new user profile and then configure restrictions on it. Log on the user profile to verify if it meets your requirements.

Step 3: Run Sysprep tool and then create an image. Deploy the image to one computer to test.

How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Step 4: Lock the user profile from the test computer. Turn on WDP if it is needed.

Step 5: If it works on the test computer, we can deploy the image to other computers. We still need to lock user profile and turn on WDP manually on these computers.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Macaefc,

The following procedure is just for your reference: 

Please understand that Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to its physical layout on the hard disk. We do not recommend turning on it before creating an image. This issue has been described in SteadyState Handbook.

Another known issue is if a user profile is locked or ever locked, the SteadyState restrictions will not work after the image is deployed to other systems. Thus, we cannot lock the user profile before You can refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1984622&SiteID=69

Based on the above information, the general steps to deploy the system with SteadyState are:

Step 1: Install SteadyState on an Sysprep environment.

Step 2: Create a new user profile and then configure restrictions on it. Log on the user profile to verify if it meets your requirements.

Step 3: Run Sysprep tool and then create an image. Deploy the image to one computer to test.

How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Step 4: Lock the user profile from the test computer. Turn on WDP if it is needed.

Step 5: If it works on the test computer, we can deploy the image to other computers. We still need to lock user profile and turn on WDP manually on these computers.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:43 AM
  • Shawn,

I have successfully installed SteadyState in one computer in our site and now I would like to replicate this installation in 10 other computers.  According to the SteadyState Help info, under "Installing SteadyState on Multiple Computer", I quote below:

"When you install SteadyState on several computers that have identical hardware configurations, the most efficient installation method to use is disk imaging (a process that is also referred to as cloning)."

My question is: Is the procedure you described in your reply the same as disk imaging?  If not, what is disk imaging?

MikeQ2
    New to SteadyState

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:37 PM