none
BMR Not Available - DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently having an issue performing a 'bare metal recovery' backup of a server that is not on the domain. I can backup C:\ without an issue but while trying add System protection in DPM the BMR option is not available.

Can anyone shed any light on why this may be?

Thanks

Jamie

Monday, September 14, 2015 3:35 PM

Answers

• Oops, sorry my bad. Mist that part. Unfortuantly it is not supported either, since your server is an 'untrusted' or 'workgroup' computer. As you noticed, a System State backup is supported (as long as you use NTLM Authentication). Please refer to the following link:

Back up and restore workloads in workgroups and untrusted domain
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/hh757801.aspx

Bare metal recovery (BMR)

Workgroup: Not supported
    Untrusted: Not supported

Boudewijn Plomp | ITON Consultancy

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 14, 2015 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Jamie,

This is an unsupported scenario. The quote at TechNet is: "A DPM server can’t protect itself for BMR."

I took me some time to figure that out. Please refer to the following link at 'Prerequisites and limitations" for more information:

Back up and restore server system state and bare metal recovery (BMR)
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/hh758150.aspx

I hope this answers your question.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 14, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi Boudewijn, Thanks for your responce but unfortuantly the server is not the DPM server. Its a standard windows server 2012 build with nothing unusual other than not being connected to the domain. Thanks
    Monday, September 14, 2015 7:33 PM
  • Oops, sorry my bad. Mist that part. Unfortuantly it is not supported either, since your server is an 'untrusted' or 'workgroup' computer. As you noticed, a System State backup is supported (as long as you use NTLM Authentication). Please refer to the following link:

Back up and restore workloads in workgroups and untrusted domain
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/hh757801.aspx

Bare metal recovery (BMR)

Workgroup: Not supported
    Untrusted: Not supported

Monday, September 14, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Perfect, Thanks Boudewijn

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:17 AM