none
Project charter in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi every one,

Is there any way to have some project documents such as Project Charter in project server?

I'm lookig for a solution to bring some manual process in project server (or sharepoint) and make them automatic. For now in our company we are supposed to have project charter in hard copy after we have a new project and to approve it we have to run a manual workflow.I was wondering if there is a solution to do so. I think it's possible to do it via crearting charter form by infopath and upload it to sharepoint then configure a workflow to run it. I don't know how to do this. let me know how to do this or give me a solution

thanks

Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:35 PM

All replies

• Sam-Net,

There are multiple ways to do this. However, if you want to start simple, Within Project Server, every project can get its own "project Site", which consists of documents, lists etc.,

You can setup Content Types for project Charter and an associated templated within the project documents.

You can also add a workflow within the project site because it is standard sharepoint.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Have you looked at Project Server Workflows, workflow controlled custom fields and Project Detail Pages?

The "Demand Management" focus of Project Server 2010 provides you with significant opportunity to embed process and compliance in your instance of Project Server. If your existing Project Charter comprises various sections these could be captured in multi-line text fields displayed in a Project Detail Page which in turn is associated with a Project Server Workflow Stage - you could capture relevant information in a series of stages and as a result have all the information that may comprise a charter - the information being visible to users with permission to view the Project and its associated PDPs.

If this all sounds a bit complicated my apologies - the Project Server Phases and Stages Workflow element aligned to Project Detail Pages, Workflow Controlled Custom Fields and Enterprise Project Types can be a bit of a conceptual quagmire when you are first confronted by it - "Start with the End in Mind" is a good dictum to follow when considering this capability of the solution.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
    Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:02 PM