Outlook - draft of someone elses unsent message RRS feed

• Question

• Perhaps there is an explanation for this, but I thought it was very strange and in all my years have never seen it before, so just wondering if anyone can think HOW this could happen: I was using my workstation, a colleague sat next to me sent an email to someone else, on which I was CC'd about 20 mins prior to my opening it. As the message opened I saw the body of the message and it read something like "I have done x for you and also I have done y and z for you, please let me know how it is working", then I clicked off the message and within a few seconds I clicked back to read it again and what I saw was a completely different message, still saying the same thing, but with a whole section I had read missing, so now it read more like "I have done x for you, please let me know how it is working". I thought that was weird, so asked if my colleague had Recalled the message and he said he had not, but had only saved it as a draft and then sent it. I repeated what I had read to him and he confirmed that he had written that and then changed it, but had definitely not sent it. There is definitely something going on there if I can read a draft of someone elses message which was never sent. Internal Exchange servers, I am on o2016 and he is on o2007. Any ideas? Its a bit scary/suspicious that Outlook would incorrectly commit a message draft as though it were sent and then update it post sendmail to correct the error.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi -Pix-,

>> a colleague sat next to me sent an email to someone else, on which I was CC'd about 20 mins prior to my opening it. 

When did you receive the email? Before or after your colleague sent it?
    Can this issue be reproduced if you repeat the steps mentioned above?

Based on my knowledge, the recipient won't see the draft message saved by the sender. Please try searching the missing section ("and also I have done y and z for you,") within All Outlook Items on your computer and check if it still exists.

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:22 AM