none
Windows 7 Pro - Windows Updates Error Code: Code 80200011

Question

• I have about 15 laptops running Windows 7 Pro SP1 (brand new, just out of the box).  I've been able to install quite a few updates on about 3 of them (just started working on them).  However, now, I'm getting error code 80200011 when I attempt to install additional "required" updates. 

I've tried clearing the BITS queue, deleting softwaredistribution folder and ran SFC and nothing came up as being an issue.  I've searched the net on this issue, but there doesn't appear to be much on this specific problem.  These systems are behind a proxy server.  I have other (XP, Windows 2003) systems that are able to update, but is there an issue between WIn 7 and some proxy servers?  If so, why would I be able to install some updates?

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Chek that your proxy is configured correctly, and if you can follow these steps to resolve this issue : stop the Windows Update service and make sure that the "Backround Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Cryptographic service" are started and then go to C:\Windows and rename the software distribution folder to UpdateOLD , and finally restart the Windows Update Service

Oussama Oueslati | System Engineer | vNext Consulting

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE (0x80200011)

The server did not return the file size. BITS only transfers static content and requires the HTTP server to return the Content-Length header. The transfer request fails if the URL points to dynamic content.

When BITS sends a HEAD request and server/proxy doesn’t return Content-Length header in the response, BITS puts the job in ERROR state with BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE. BITS 1.5 puts the job in ERROR state with BG_E_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE error. Apache 2.0 proxy server is known to exhibit this behavior.

In order to further research this issue, please collect the Windows Update log(%windir%\Windowsupdate.log), then upload these via SkyDrive and post a link here.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2011 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

take a look  at this link , it can help you to resove this issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-update-error-80200011/6e4dcb8c-348d-43d9-a701-39b35d3baf6a

Friday, December 16, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Thank you. I read that article and did try what was mentioned. It didn't help.

I did go in and unchecked all the "Windows" updates and only installed a service pack for Office which installed fine.  However, when I try to install the Windows updates, I get error code 80200011.

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Chek that your proxy is configured correctly, and if you can follow these steps to resolve this issue : stop the Windows Update service and make sure that the "Backround Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Cryptographic service" are started and then go to C:\Windows and rename the software distribution folder to UpdateOLD , and finally restart the Windows Update Service

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE (0x80200011)

The server did not return the file size. BITS only transfers static content and requires the HTTP server to return the Content-Length header. The transfer request fails if the URL points to dynamic content.

When BITS sends a HEAD request and server/proxy doesn’t return Content-Length header in the response, BITS puts the job in ERROR state with BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE. BITS 1.5 puts the job in ERROR state with BG_E_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE error. Apache 2.0 proxy server is known to exhibit this behavior.

In order to further research this issue, please collect the Windows Update log(%windir%\Windowsupdate.log), then upload these via SkyDrive and post a link here.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2011 9:58 AM
  • For Future Generations:
    I encountered this error in a system behind a proxy (port 80/443 outbound blocked) for all machines within the DHCP range.  I tried renaming the softwaredistribution folder as described above, but same error (although 4 more updates showed as available).  I moved the system to a static IP in a range that was allowed port 80/443 outbound, turned off the proxy settings, and it immediately worked.  Proxy is Squid Version 2.5.STABLE3.  Dell Vostro 260 factory fresh out of the box, fresh install with recovery CD.  I had been installing software while doing windows updates on a previous reboot, which I thought caused this problem.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Hi i did this change c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution to c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution-old 

and restart windows update services 

but some update failed 

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:54 PM