Configuration Management pack not monitoring 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SCCM 2007 R2 on 64 bit servers.

I'm running SCOM 2007 R2 also on 64 bit servers.

I'm deployed agents to all SCCM servers. I've deployed the SCCM MP.

The SCOM system doesn't show any SCCM servers as having been discovered. The discovery rules seem to only search the 32 bit registry keys, not the 64 bit ones.

According to the release notes of the latest MP version:

Added Support for 64-bit Operations Manager 2007 R2 Agent

This guide has been updated to include support for the Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Pack. The Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Pack adds support for monitoring Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 in a 64-bit environment with Operations Manager 2007 R2 or Operations Manager 2007 SP1 hotfix (KB971541). This enables the Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Pack to work with both the 32-bit and the 64-bit Operations Manager 2007 agent. Except for 64-bit support, the features and guidance for Configuration Manager 2007 and Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Packs are the same. For more information about supported configurations for the Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Pack, see Supported Configurations for the Configuration Manager 2007 Management Pack.

Does that mean that this will only be supported on SCCM SP2, which doesn't seem to out yet?

Is it possible to monitor SCCM in this environment? 

Thanks,
    Guy
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:46 PM

Answers

• SCCM is a 32bit application. 

The trouble is - when you install a 32bit application, on a 64bit operating system, using a 64bit SCOM agent.

I will break this down into two areas:  (1) Registry discovery and (2) performance counters.

The 64bit SCOM agent will look in the standard registry location for all discoveries pointing to the registry.  This is a challenge, because 32 bit applications cannot write to the 64 location in the registry.  Instead - they write to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ hive.  SCOM by default will not search this location, and therefor will not discover 32bit applications that use registry discovery.  This has been addressed in R2 - SCOM agents will search this location now on 64bit operating systems.  I believe there is a hotfix to backport this to SP1 - or possibly one coming out - I cannot remember.  Regardless - you can simply copy the 32bit registry entires to the 64bit location on your servers, and they will be discovered if this is your issue.  That is workaround number 1.

On performance counters:  When a 32bit application registers performance counters for the app... these are 32bit counters.  SCOM x64 agent processes cannot access or read 32bit perf counters.  This is just how the operating system works, and is not a shortcoming of SCOM.  This will be a shortcoming for ANY monitoring solution/vendor.  So - the BEST solution is for application developers to always write their applications to support x64 or x86 versions....   However - SCCM is x86 ONLY.  The workaround being developed is simply that the application will add 64bit perf counters in addition to the x86 perf counters, when installed on a x64 OS.  This way the native x64 agent will be able to read these perf counters.

That is the workaround coming for SCCM... but it will require the SCCM updated version, and a new management pack update to take advantage of it, and potentially - SCCM R2.

Previously - there was guidance to manually install a 32bit SCOM agent on the x64 OS, in order to easily discover and monitor the x86 application.  This is a very bad idea... because with a 32bit agent, you will lose the ability to discover and monitor most anything native to the OS, including all the OS perf counters.  Essentially you will ONLY be moniotring that x86 application.  This also causes problems because if you ever did an agent upgrade, hotfix, or repair on the 32bit agent - that action would detect the x64 OS - and replace the agent with a native x64 SCOM agent - essentially breaking your monitoring.

My recommendation is to always use the native x64 SCOM agent, if your 32 bit app is not discovered.... is to simply copy over the registry entires for the app that the discovery uses, to the 64bit registry location.  This lets you discover the 32 bit application, while still providing full monitoring of all the other native OS and hardware, etc....  (this should not be necessary running SCOM R2 agents)

Then - you will just have to accept that you will not be able to monitor 32bit performance counters, until the vendor of the 32bit application either provides a 64bit version of the app, or at lest provides 64bit perf counters.
    • Proposed as answer by B-Serge Sunday, October 4, 2009 8:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marnix WolfMVP Monday, October 5, 2009 5:44 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 6:07 PM

All replies

• To answer both your questions:

Does that mean that this will only be supported on SCCM SP2, which doesn't seem to out yet?
    --> Correct as it clearly states: The Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Pack adds support for monitoring Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 in a 64-bit environment with Operations Manager 2007 R2
    Is it possible to monitor SCCM in this environment?
    --> Yes, but you'll have to install (manual, not console push) the 32-bit OpsMgr agent on the SCCM boxes. Personally I'm no big fan of this, since it's unclear how good or bad the 32-bit agent is monitoring the 64-bit OS & SQL ...

Cheers,
    Serge
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 4:20 PM
  • SCCM is a 32bit application. 

The trouble is - when you install a 32bit application, on a 64bit operating system, using a 64bit SCOM agent.

I will break this down into two areas:  (1) Registry discovery and (2) performance counters.

The 64bit SCOM agent will look in the standard registry location for all discoveries pointing to the registry.  This is a challenge, because 32 bit applications cannot write to the 64 location in the registry.  Instead - they write to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ hive.  SCOM by default will not search this location, and therefor will not discover 32bit applications that use registry discovery.  This has been addressed in R2 - SCOM agents will search this location now on 64bit operating systems.  I believe there is a hotfix to backport this to SP1 - or possibly one coming out - I cannot remember.  Regardless - you can simply copy the 32bit registry entires to the 64bit location on your servers, and they will be discovered if this is your issue.  That is workaround number 1.

On performance counters:  When a 32bit application registers performance counters for the app... these are 32bit counters.  SCOM x64 agent processes cannot access or read 32bit perf counters.  This is just how the operating system works, and is not a shortcoming of SCOM.  This will be a shortcoming for ANY monitoring solution/vendor.  So - the BEST solution is for application developers to always write their applications to support x64 or x86 versions....   However - SCCM is x86 ONLY.  The workaround being developed is simply that the application will add 64bit perf counters in addition to the x86 perf counters, when installed on a x64 OS.  This way the native x64 agent will be able to read these perf counters.

That is the workaround coming for SCCM... but it will require the SCCM updated version, and a new management pack update to take advantage of it, and potentially - SCCM R2.

Previously - there was guidance to manually install a 32bit SCOM agent on the x64 OS, in order to easily discover and monitor the x86 application.  This is a very bad idea... because with a 32bit agent, you will lose the ability to discover and monitor most anything native to the OS, including all the OS perf counters.  Essentially you will ONLY be moniotring that x86 application.  This also causes problems because if you ever did an agent upgrade, hotfix, or repair on the 32bit agent - that action would detect the x64 OS - and replace the agent with a native x64 SCOM agent - essentially breaking your monitoring.

My recommendation is to always use the native x64 SCOM agent, if your 32 bit app is not discovered.... is to simply copy over the registry entires for the app that the discovery uses, to the 64bit registry location.  This lets you discover the 32 bit application, while still providing full monitoring of all the other native OS and hardware, etc....  (this should not be necessary running SCOM R2 agents)

Then - you will just have to accept that you will not be able to monitor 32bit performance counters, until the vendor of the 32bit application either provides a 64bit version of the app, or at lest provides 64bit perf counters.
    • Proposed as answer by B-Serge Sunday, October 4, 2009 8:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marnix WolfMVP Monday, October 5, 2009 5:44 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Kevin,
     Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

I am, however, using SCOM R2 and still seeing the above behavior. I am comfortable with the workaround of copying the registry keys but am concerned that this is documented as not being necessary in R2 and the possibility that this indicates deeper issues in the environment.

Any additional guidance or thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Guy
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Kevin,
     Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

I am, however, using SCOM R2 and still seeing the above behavior. I am comfortable with the workaround of copying the registry keys but am concerned that this is documented as not being necessary in R2 and the possibility that this indicates deeper issues in the environment.

Any additional guidance or thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Guy

I got some more info on this.

It turns out while R2 has this ability to look in the Wow6432Node registry location, it does not by default.  There is a challenge to enabling that across the board for applications that might write to both locations.  So - it is up to the MP author to enable this.

Essentially - in the discovery - you can hard code a discovery to look in the Wow6432Node hive, or not.... but explicitly pointing it there, or by adding a new function for R2  <RegistryView>32bit</RegistryView>

Therefore - you are correct, and I misspoke.  R2 includes a new finctionality to dearch the 32bit registry - but it must be enabled as such in the discovery of the MP.  This means, that the behavior you are seeing is correct, and we must wait for an MP update to add discovery modifications to look in the 32bit registry.  I assume this will be coming in the updated MP coming out.

In the meantime - copying over the registry keys is your best bet.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:35 PM
  • "In the meantime - copying over the registry keys is your best bet."

excuse the thread hi-jack, I am seeing the exact same symptoms on all my 2008 64 bit servers, the 'base' server objects are being discovered but various 'agents' (SCCM being one) are not for the 2008 64 machines.

In my SCCM primary site server I have entries for ConfigMgr in both 32 and 63bit registry locations (true 64) but only entries for operations managaer in the 32 bit registry.  I have only installed using discovery from the SCOM console.  SCOM agents are 6.1.7221.0 the SCCM MP is 6.0.500.12

many thanks for your time

Nick B
    Solutions Architect
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Nick, 
     The registry key copy referred to is from HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS.

Guy
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:29 PM
  • We are running SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 and SCOM 2007 R2. I am getting alerts as follows, I am wondering if this applies to this treat as it points to registry access???

I also have another alert that popped up last night. I find it interesting that they both refer to possible registry access as an issue????

*************************MOM Alert**************************************

Summary

A runtime error from the ConfigMgr State Message Summary Tasks script has been detected. The script is part of the event processing rule, ConfigMgr State Message Summary Tasks: Monitoring.

Causes

This event could occur because of registry access problems.

If the Operations Manager 2007 Host process is not running under the local system or a local Administrator context, its account might not have the proper permissions to the Configuration Manager 2007 Database.

Resolutions

Check the event description for the description of the error returned.

I have SCOM 2007 R2 and Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 R2 in my environment. I have the SCOM mgmt packs and prereq's installed on the server for Configuration Manager. On one of my monitored servers I am getting alerts from SCOM as follows. I am monitoring other servers with the SCCM Cleint Agent on them and they do not generate this message. Following the resolutions on the alert I find that. 1) Server side there is nothing in the event log 2)I don’t see the EnalbeActiveDebugging Registry Key 3)The log file directory does not exist on the client. The System Center Managment Service is running under the Local System account.

This server also acts as ConfigMgr Component Server, ConfigMgr Site System, ConfigMgr Software Update Point. My SQL box ConfigMgr Component Server, ConfigMgr Site System, ConfigMgr site database server. The SQL box does not have any alerts generated. It is isolated to this one box.

*************************MOM Alert**************************************

ConfigMgr 2007 Component Health: Monitoring script error

The script 'ConfigMgr 2007 Monitor Component Health' encountered a runtime error.
    Failed to initialize the object for component 'SMS_EXECUTIVE' on this server.
    The error returned was: 'The configuration registry key could not be read.' -2147023884 (0x800703F4)

Summary

A runtime error from the ConfigMgr Component: Monitoring script has been detected. The script is part of the event processing rule, ConfigMgr Component: Monitoring.

Causes

This event could occur because of registry access problems.

If the Operations Manager 2007 Host process is not running under the local system or a local Administrator context, its account might not have the proper permissions to a Configuration Manager 2007 registry key.

Resolutions

Check the event description for the description of the error returned.

Set the EnableActiveDebugging registry key on the agent computer to enable script tracing.

Stop and then start the Operations Manager Service to activate the new setting.

View the results in the log file located at %WinDir%\Temp\Microsoft Operations Manager\AgentResponses-OpsMgr configuration Group Name.log.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:11 AM
  • OK so that info was out in Oct 2009. The SCCM MP is still version 6.0.5000.12 which dates from April 2008. The ability to monitor 64 bit SCCM has been brought up ages ago and we were promised a fixed MP. Almost 2 years on and still no sign of a new MP.

Any idea when it is set for release?

Ian
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:06 PM
  • OK so that info was out in Oct 2009. The SCCM MP is still version 6.0.5000.12 which dates from April 2008. The ability to monitor 64 bit SCCM has been brought up ages ago and we were promised a fixed MP. Almost 2 years on and still no sign of a new MP.

Any idea when it is set for release?

Ian

Ian - the update MP shipped long ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a8443173-46c2-4581-b3b8-ce67160f627b

Probably hard to find on our new Pinpoint MP catalog.  :-)

Version 6.0.6000.2
    12/9/2009

Overview

The Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Pack adds support for monitoring Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 in a 64-bit environment with Operations Manager 2007 R2 or Operations Manager 2007 SP1 with hotfix (KB971541) installed. This enables the Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Management Pack to work with either the 32-bit or the 64-bit Operations Manager 2007 agent. Except for the 64-bit support, the other features and guidance for Configuration Manager 2007 Management Packs remain intact.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Thanks for that. It is impossible to find in Pinpoint as there so many others with SCCM. But I did search in downloads and could only find the old one. My search skills are slipping!

Ian
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Hi there - I'm running the new MP and am still getting these errors. Any ideas?
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:23 PM