none
PowerPoint Show (PPSX) no longer open in presenation mode RRS feed

• Question

• We recently migrated a SharePoint (On Premise) project from IE 10 / Office 2010 / SharePoint 2013 to IE 11 / Office 2016 / SharePoint 2016.

On our old SP 2013 platform, we could open PPSX files stored in a SharePoint document library so they open in full-screen presentation mode directly. This works as long as the IE add-on "Office Document Cache Handler" (urlredir.dll, file version 14.0.7011.0) is enabled.

On the new SP 2016 platform, PPSX files open always in edit mode when opening from SharePoint. The IE add-on seems to be no more available for Office 2016. I suspect that the missing add-on causes the changed behavior.

My Questions:

• Is there an "Office Document Cache Handler" add-on available which works with IE 11 / Office 2016 / SharePoint 2016? Or was the add-on replaced by something else (other add-on or built-in IE functionality)?
    • Is there a way to open PPSX files in PowerPoint directly in presentation mode?
    Monday, July 22, 2019 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

Considering your question is mainly related to Internet Explorer 11 and SharePoint, I also suggest you ask questions in Internet Explorer Forum and SharePoint forum for help.

As far as I know, the Office Document Cache Handler add-on is disabled by default in Internet Explorer 11. You can enable it through following bellow steps:

1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. Go to registry key Version in the path HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extension Compatibility\{B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF}
    3. Replace * with the correct version 1.0.

Open Internet Explorer 11, click Settings > Manage add-ons, then enable the add-on:

Please check for the issue and let us know the results.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hello Herb

Even if I enable the BHO in the Registry, it does not show in the add-ons dialog. No surprise, since there is no urlredir.dll on the system.

Do I have to manually register the urlredir.dll from Office 2010 to make this work?

Is there an updated urlredir.dll (> Version 14) shipped with Office 2016 or via a seperate installer or via add-on gallery?

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:22 AM