none
What happens when you move a Hyper V hosted domain controller in to another Hyper V host?

Question

• Recently I had to move one of our organizations one and only domain controller to another Hyper V host in the same network. And I made the stupid move of just shutting down the DC VM and copying the VHDs to the new Hyper V host, I just made a new VM attached the VHD's to it and booted it up and boom.. Everything was down the AD services didn't start and DNS was also not working. I was clueless as to what happened. Any one have and idea of what took place? Would really appreciate it if some one can explain. All methods of recovery failed (tried seizing the roles, Created new network adapter, deleted old one etc.. all attempts failed.)
    Friday, April 28, 2017 3:34 PM

All replies

• Not sure about the steps you took. Should have been export from hyper-v 1, and import to hyper-v 2 or just live migrate if that's enabled on hosts. Probably would have been safest to stand up a new VM on destination, patch it fully, activate it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it, decommission / demote old one.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 28, 2017 3:46 PM
  • Yes what you explained there is the best method indeed. I was just wondering what actually made the DC loose it. I've moved normal servers which are not DCs in the method which I explained and they've all handled it well (things like database servers and stuff).
    Friday, April 28, 2017 4:38 PM
  • Can't say for sure. You mentioned copying existing, creating new VM, and attaching when normally it would have been better to shutdown, export / import.

It's also always recommended to have at least two DCs for high availability / disaster mitigation.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 28, 2017 4:45 PM