Windows Vista Ultimate - Start All Programs RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need to setup four Vista machines so that each machine displays the same list of folders when anyone using that machine clicks on the Start/All Programs. Here is the list I need to show up. But I don't know how to do this. The thing is I not only need it to show these folders but the folders need to show the program files associated with them.

Accessories

Communications

Graphics

Main

Multimedia

Startup

Windows Vista

So if you were to see this list but then click on Accessories you would see all items associated with Accessories and so on. How is this done exactly?

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:49 PM

Answers

• GurpalE

You can customize the Start/All Programs list any way you wish. Here is the information you need to do this.

First, there are 2 separate locations where Vista stores the folders and shortcuts that appear in the Start/All Programs list.

The first is in the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. Every profile on the system has it's own list for these folders and shortcuts that they contain. The folders and shortcuts that are in this folder will appear on the all programs list only for this individual user.

The second location is the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. The folders and shortcuts that appear in this folder will appear on 'every users' all programs list.

While you are customizing these folders, any existing folders should be saved for possible future use, in case you need any of the shortcuts that they contain. Create a new folder somewhere, like in the C:\Users\Public folder, called Archived All Programs.

1. What you need to do to set this up is first, create the folders the way you want them to appear on the first machine in the  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. Place the program shortcuts that you want to appear into each folder.

2. After this is completed, move all of the folders out of the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder, to the Archived folder that you created earlier.

Next, copy all of the folders you created in step 1 to the empty Programs folder in step 2.

You can now move all of the folders you created in step 1 to both locations on the other machines. I would follow the same procedure on the other machines about archiving the existing folders.

Note: Some of the folders I mentioned are hidden, by default. You will need to go to Folder Options/View Tab and select the 'Show hidden files and folders' option.

Note: Some of these procedures, when moving the folders will require administrator privileges.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, May 2, 2008 1:05 AM