none
Server 2012 r2 Group Policy "The system cannot find the file specified"

Question

• Good day gents. I'll do my best to be as thorough with this explanation. Recently we (my company) re-did the networking for a school consisting of at least 100+ computers. After the redesign we decided to get group policy up and active so that come opening day all the computers / users settings would be ready to go. The first time we pushed GPO policies everything went smoothly. Afterwards I made changes to a simple policy for a shortcut and when I attempted to "Group Policy Update" I was given the following error for all computers (they're all running windows 10): "The system cannot find the file specified" (Error code: 80070002). For some it gives the error code: 8007071a "The remote proceduce call was cancelled." After this kept happening again and again I decided to research the issue but have found nothing except articles pointing to either replication issues or UNC hardening. Currently we only have one DC for the site so I want to rule out any replication errors (of course this doesn't mean I'm 100%). I have also attempted to get around the UNC hardening by enabling the policy both on the server side and the client side (only one or two machines). Still nothing is being pushed out. At this point I'm lost as to what to attempt next. I need help.

Just to be clear for those not wanting to read that long paragraph. The attempts made are:

1. UNC hardening (both on server and local machine)

2. Sharing of SYSVOL / NETLOGON folders

3. Checked for file replication but only 1 DC present.

4. Checked that all computers have network sharing enabled. 

Sunday, September 11, 2016 10:08 PM

All replies

• *Note* Some machines are working in terms of the push. But 90% aren't working.
    Sunday, September 11, 2016 10:29 PM
  • Hi CliffyP IT,

According to your description, I found a similar post. Please check if there is anything useful to solve your issue. Feel free to feed back after reading the post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2ed4b008-954a-4fb6-b90f-d8b2d70b188f/group-policy-shortcuts?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 9:01 AM
  • The information there is great for shortcut creation and I'm certainly going go through my shortcuts to make sure they're setup correctly but in response to the link I've shut down all shortcut GPO's for the time being to see if the others could be pushed out and still I have the "The system cannot find the file specified." So it's not a shortcut issue. I will attempt to blow out the majority of policies in effect and start with the basics to see if even the default domain policy works. But I'm still looking for answers. 
    Monday, September 12, 2016 4:11 PM
  • Hi CliffyP IT,

Have you got any progress with your issue? Welcome to feed back if you have some progress.

Besides, what about run gpupdate/force on domain members, could they apply the GPOs correctly?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:25 AM