x86 Programs not opening without Administrator Privileges(Windows 7 Pro 64bit RTM via MSDN Academic Alliance) RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I installed my copy of Windows 7 64bit Pro, which from being a member of MSDNAA. I did a complete backup/format before install.

My problem I found out was that I can't run any x86 programs without using Admin Privileges. On the taskbar I have to hold shift+left click and select "run as administrator", where I then click yes and the program runs.

This happens for all x86 programs, at first I had thought it was just firefox until I experimented more, and the programs I can list are: Internet Explorer, AVG, Realplayer, Itunes, Digsby, others.

What happens when I start an x86 program is that it looks like its going to load(spins the loading circle) and puts the task in taskmgr but thats where it stops. It doesn't take up cpu processes, only a small amount of memory depending on the program of course.

Has anyone seen this issue, or know of a fix it would be greatly appreciated. I've searched around and seen another with the issue on Vista 64bit SP1, and with no solution.

Thanks in advanced for the help,
    Simon

• Edited by Negativezr0 Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:45 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:44 PM

All replies

• Still having this issue, not a clue why its requiring Admin priveleges to start x86 programs, but its quite annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Simon
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried entering the executables for each of your troublesome programs as an exception in the Date Execution Security section which can be accessed via the System icon in the control panel...its the panel located next to the virtual memory one in the advanced section of the system panel. normally this is turned off for all programs other than essential windows programs, however it will often decide to stop other non-windows programs as well. So you have to turn it on for all programs except for the following excxeptions and this is where you put a pointer to all the executables that are giving you problems.

If that doesn't help fix your problem then I am sorry I dont have much other advice to reccomend. Heres hoping

cheers Chervern

Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:28 PM