Vista Windows Time-Service RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone seeing a problem with the Windows Time-service?

I get this message:   " NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time.windows.com,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9) "

These show up in the System Windows logs in the Event viewer.  I set up a filter for the Time-Service entries and see that there have been 242 in the last 32 days.

The writeup on this also says that it will run once a week. I am seeing it trying to run everyday. This process has worked 12 out of the last 32 days since Vista was installed on March 5th. For now, I have stopped it from starting using MSCONFIG, but wonder if I may have created another problem.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:17 PM

All replies

• I'm seeing this issue as well. I'm not sure what the fix is.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:05 PM
  • I found the following in another MS forum. When I followed this on my Vista Home Premium machine, I was able to fix my problem, by selecting a server other than time.windows.com. If you are not in the US, you may run into timeout problems.

1.    You need an "always on" internet connection to do the following. Or,
    you have to log on to the internet if you are using a modem.

2.    Right click on the clock in the system tray. Go to adjust Date/Time

3.    Click on Internet Time

4.    Click on "Change Settings"

5.    Click on "Update Now"

Did it adjust the time?

If not, try a different time server. There are five to choose from, by
    default - unless you add more.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I still have the problem and I have tried all time servers on the list. None of them works!

Thursday, September 6, 2007 7:37 AM
  • Hi everyone, I've Windows VISTA Premium 32bit - having this problem reported on EventLogs  - BUTTT i'm only having it while using my NERO, While Recoding DVD - at the final fase of Recoding my PC  just goes to SLEEPING State mostly , sometimes it restarts.   Donno what to do   - EventLOG is making me crazy - too many other error messages and warning messages are there.

1)The target file for the Windows Feedback Platform (a DLL file containing the list of problems on this computer that require additional data collection for diagnosis) could not be parsed. The error code was 8014FFF9.

2) ERROR: The previous system shutdown at 19:37:46 on 27.09.2007 was unexpected.

3)NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time.windows.com,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)  

etc.     Why these things happen only while i'm recoding DVD's???
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:33 PM
  • It's that ",0x9" that seems to be the trouble. Pinging the time service resolves as expected and a response is received. Put the ",0x9" on the back and 'can't resolve' is returned.

Anyone know where it comes from?

Dave

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:10 PM
  • After all these years... this worked for me.  thank you in the past :)
    • Edited by RedStarSQD Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:30 PM