none
Can I restore a DPM database from DPM 2012 directly to DPM 2012 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have to completely reinstall SQL and DPM on a server.  I know the backups are OK on the storage, and I know I have a good backup of the database (dpmbackup -db, etc.)

It was running on DPM 2012, no SP1 (I think), I have anyway to upgrade it to 2012 R2.  I'd like to know if it is possible to restore the database with "dpmsync -restoredb -dbloc..." directly into DPM 2012 R2.  I would install DPM 2012 R2 directly instead or installing DPM 2012, restoring DB, installing UR3, installing SP1, Installing UR3 for SP1... and finally upgrading to 2012 R2... Long run with a lot of possibilities of issues.

I just can't find the answer... Somebody knows if it is possible?

Thanks a lot for you help!

Patrick Brodeur

Patrick Brodeur

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That will not work, you need to re-install the same version of DPM + UR that the database is, then restore DPMDB.  Once you are up and running on DPM 2012 + UR3 - then you can upgrade to DPM 2012 Sp1 + UR3, then finally to DPM 2012 R2.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That will not work, you need to re-install the same version of DPM + UR that the database is, then restore DPMDB.  Once you are up and running on DPM 2012 + UR3 - then you can upgrade to DPM 2012 Sp1 + UR3, then finally to DPM 2012 R2.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:28 PM
  • OK...  That's what I expected, I was just hoping to get a faster solution. :-)

Thanks a lot.

Patrick Brodeur

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hi Mike I have the same problem. I ran into problems upgrading from DPM 2012 SP1 to 2012 R2. I ended up wiping the DPM Server and doing a fresh install. This time with Server 2012 R2 & DPM 2012 R2. I got to dpmsync & it would not restore dpmdb.bat, I restored ok with SQLmanagement , but now I cannot dpmsync -sync. I have a copy of original DPM Server as a VHD, can I upgrade that to DPM2012 R2, then backup db and restore to the new physical box (the one with disk pool)? Note, the virtual will not have disk pool
    Friday, August 29, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

<snip>

I ran into problems upgrading from DPM 2012 SP1 to 2012 R2.

<snip>

I assume this was the virtual machine ? You should troubleshoot that and once that is upgraded, you can restore that DB on the physical machine.  Make sure it's the same machine name and on the network before performing the upgrade.

Friday, August 29, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Hi Mike

It was the physical machine I had trouble upgrading. I have since run into similar problems upgrading the virtual. Luckily I have copies of the VM.

Upgrade fails trying to add a local user to DCOM. I think it is to do with .\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct , I found a thread that says to make it Domain\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct, but next time I ran Setup.exe it wanted to uninstall and not rerun the upgrade.

After installing again, I ended up with 2 databases DPMDB and DPMDB_BKP1

It seems the upgrade did not upgrade the DB. Is there a way to upgrade the DB after the DPM upgrade?

I will try again with another copy of VM, this time changing to DOMAIN\Acct first. 

Friday, August 29, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

You may be bumping into this issue and have to use the workaround.

System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager upgrade fails and generates ID: 4323: "A member could not be added"

• Proposed as answer by techophil Monday, September 15, 2014 12:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:59 PM