Externals IP's have intermittent credential issues getting to Sharepoint site RRS feed

  • Question

  • The user will try to get to our Sharepoint site using the external address and will get an error in Internet Explorer 8 and 9 saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". The site is added to trusted sites. For some reason the credentials that we initially setup in Windows Credential Manager are no longer there. Once we re-add these, the user is able to access the site again.

    A while back we discovered that adding the credentials to the credential manager in the 'domain\username' format would make the credentials disappear because it is the same and the current logged in user. So now we add it as just 'username' and then the rest of the site information. They will be good for 2 days or 4 weeks and then this issue reappears. It is only happening for people accessing the site from an external IP. It is not an issue with them using our VPN as we have had the issue corrected and then had them refrain from using the VPN and it still occurs. We have had it occur across multiple hardware and Windows 7 x64 and XP SP3 x86.  

    In summary, the main issue hear is that their credentails in Windows Credential Manager are disappearing.

    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 1, 2011 3:24 PM admin q not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, April 1, 2011 3:11 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Thanks to share your post.

    For the issue, as my opinion, it should due to the Alternate Access Mappings. Please check this:

    Central administration-> operation-> Alternate Access Mappings-> create External resource mapping.

    If this still doesn’t work, please refer to these two articles:



    Hope this could help you!


    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ryukotsei0 Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:49 AM
  • The Alternate Access Mappings are already setup and these are the URL's that the external user is using.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Yesterday I came across a 'cause' of this issue. We found that when the person was authenticated into a Sharepoint site and then locked their computer, Windows would then erase the credentials upon unlocking it. I had thought the person could resolve the issue if they just made sure to close any Sharepoint sites before they locked their computers. This morning the same person I had worked with yesterday closed the Sharepoint sites and shutdown their computer for the night and this morning their credentials are gone again.

    So in short I have discovered a cause, but not all the causes of the issue.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:36 PM