none
How do you make the project options save into the file, so other people opening it have the same settings? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Basically I set my project options -> General -> Date format -> date + time, and want anyone that opens it to also see this setting. So, their tasks will display with start/finish times in date + time and not just date as is the standard setting. It is possible that should already occur, but since in my company everyone is using different versions of the program it is possible that this setting is lost with different versions.

Is there any way to make this a characteristic of the shared file, rather than the local versions of each person having their independent settings as is the case at the moment?

Thank you very much.

Stef

Stef

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:10 PM

Answers

• Stef,

Many custom settings such as views, tables, filters, groups, Gantt Bar Styles, etc. are resident in the file. However general options such as date format, etc. are stored in the Project Global. If you were all using the same version of Project, you could simply create the desired custom Global and then share that will all users. However, each version of Project has its own Global file. To achieve what you want you will need to replicate the general options in each Global and then install the appropriate Global file on each user's PC.

John

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Monday, October 8, 2012 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi John and all,

Sorry but Date format is stored in the Windows registry so it is computer-specific rather than Global-specific.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:10 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hi John,

I create a new Global for every customer and changing the Date Format changes it for all the customers : i.e. when I reopen Project with an new global the setting of the Date format remains the same.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:56 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 8:08 PM

All replies

• Stef,

Many custom settings such as views, tables, filters, groups, Gantt Bar Styles, etc. are resident in the file. However general options such as date format, etc. are stored in the Project Global. If you were all using the same version of Project, you could simply create the desired custom Global and then share that will all users. However, each version of Project has its own Global file. To achieve what you want you will need to replicate the general options in each Global and then install the appropriate Global file on each user's PC.

John

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Monday, October 8, 2012 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi John and all,

Sorry but Date format is stored in the Windows registry so it is computer-specific rather than Global-specific.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:10 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Jan,

Are you referring to the region and language date format or Project's date format under the general options? The former is computer specific but I thought the latter is Project specific (i.e. stored in Project's Global).

John

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Hi John,

I create a new Global for every customer and changing the Date Format changes it for all the customers : i.e. when I reopen Project with an new global the setting of the Date format remains the same.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:56 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi John,

Greetings,

So, how do I create such a global such that the settings are maintained for all users? Thank you very much for the help.

Greetings,

Stef

Stef

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

The harsh consequence is that you can't since this setting overrides whatever is in the global. You could put an On open macro in the global that sets the Date format but simply as an option no, sorry.

Greetings,

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:04 PM