none
Building out new Server 2016 DNS servers with same hostname and IP addresses RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Folks,

I am new in my current role and this is the first place I have worked that has DNS running on non-DC member servers. I am tasked with upgrading the servers and using the current hostnames and IP addresses (we have some UNIX boxes tied to the current hostname and IP addresses). In previous roles I was worked with DC DNS servers and building out new environments with the same host/ipaddr was fairly simple, but I am apprehensive this go round. 

The scenario is I have two current 2008 DNS servers. I'll call them DNS01 and DNS02. I built out two new 2016 servers and named them DNS01a and DNS02a.

My plan for DNS02a is to get it replicating with the current infrastructure and then shut down DNS02 and rename/re-ip DNS02a. Once the box comes up, do the smell checks etc etc. 

Where the worry comes in is with DNS01. DNS01 is currently the DNS master in our environment. Is there a way to bring DNS01a into the fold, get it replicating and then shut down DNS01, rename DNS01a and promote it to master?

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

You can just copy the .dns file from DNS01 to DNS02.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 14, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 21, 2018 9:19 AM
  • This was perfectly helpful! Thank you!

Friday, September 21, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best Regards,

Travis

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:53 AM