none
MS Project 2010 delete task duration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In MS Project 2010 for a manually scheduled task I set task duration and resources. Just after adding a start/end date to the task MS Project resets (clears) the task duration and work automatically to 0 (zero) hours (days).

What could be the reason? Thanks.

• Moved by Max Meng Friday, November 16, 2012 4:57 AM (From:Office 2010 - Planning, Deployment, and Compatibility)
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Vitaly,

Can you give some more details that is it happening with all resources or a particular one?

Well, It’s only a guess from my side that you need to check that if that resource availability for that particular start and End Date is not '0'. 

Regards

R A A

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Hi Araja,

Thanks for trying to help.

It happens with all resources (there are just two of the in the project)? but it does not happen all along the way, but sometimes.

I guess it is not the case of the resource availability, because first I am not sure if resource overallocation should induce such a duration reset to zero (the task should be marked as an overallocation and that is just it) and second resource has plenty of remaining availability for these problem tasks.

To illustrate the issue please find the screenshots of it - first is before the date adding, the second is after the date (16.11.2012) adding. As you can see 7h task duration reset automatically as 0h after date adding.

Before date adding

After date adding

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Manual tasks are really for pretty picture initial idea drawing. To get resourcing accurately I would have all tasks on automatic.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:37 AM
  •  

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for sharing more information but unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the issue you are facing, in all scenarios, MS Project Manual task work calculations are working fine..

What 2nd work column shows in your example, Actual Work or Remaining work?

Regards 

R A A

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hi, ARaja

Thanks again.

I suppose the problem may be caused by my MS Project 2010 local copy been corrupted, because there are not any other obvious and reasonable causes for such a strange error. Trying to create another file from scratch does not produce stable outcome - sometimes everything seems goes without a hitch, but suddenly the problem reappears.

Anyway, answering your question the first column is just "Work" (Scheduled work), the second one is  "Duration" (scheduled duration). Please, find the attached screenshot.

• Edited by Vitaly1812 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Thanks for sharing further update on this.

Well, its strange to hear that even creation of another file from scratch does not produce stable outcome!

Use some other system and see if every thing is fine with resources.

Regards

R A A

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:28 AM