none
Can I move a snapshot image of my XP Pro installation to some sort of VM? RRS feed

• Question

• My dilemma is this: my PC running XP Pro is about 5 years old and is too slow to render HD video at 60fps, which is something I need to do. So I want to buy a new faster PC with better video but I don't want to abandon 5 years of program installs and patches on my existing hard drive and I don't have the time to reinstall all of those applications on a new PC and all of their patches. I'd be down for a week or two.

So my goal is to have a new PC boot up clean and ready to go with all of those programs and data intact, without having to reinstall all the software I have accumulated over those years. 

Does Microsoft sell a desktop Virtual MachineO/S that would let me install an image of my old PC's XP Pro installation transparently and without loss of functionality?  I have a full retail license of XP Pro -- it's not an OEM version, and I could wipe XP from that box once I got the image up and running on the new machine.  If this is an option, I'd be grateful for a link to a step-by-step approach to installing the image -- ideally over a network, if that's feasible, since my DVD drive's tray is refusing to slide out.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:01 AM

All replies

• No virtualization program will allow you full functionality of your physical machine, for example 3D hardware acceleration of your video card.

If you intend to keep your existingn OS as the host, then you're not looking for a virtualizaiton solution.

If you simply wanto move your OS to new hardware, look at Acronis True Image or similar imaging programs.  No matter what you do, you're going to hit some issues with drivers, since your old hardware will not match a VM's hardware or new physical hardware.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:27 PM