NAP notification (napstat) on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have NAP running on several Wireless Access Points and switches. I have only tested it on Windows 8 sofar. I noticed that when a NAP Client is nog compliant or non-compliant users don't get a (pup-up) notification in the taskbar. You can only check it in the Action/Security Center. I have read that apparently this behavior has changed in Windows 7/8. I just want to confirm that is correct.

Does a NAP client not show any notifications (in the taskbar) anymore when it is non-compliant? Is there any way to enable it?

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security

Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

based on my knowledge, if you type "netsh nap client show state", You can check if the clietn is limited or not. 

And when you type "napstat" in the command prompt, the warning message will show up at the right-bottom corner of the desk.

Here is the articles for your reference:

verify NAP Client Configuration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771010.aspx

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Annie 

• Proposed as answer by Aiden_Cao Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Boudewijn Plomp Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:33 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Please sure the Security Center was turn on Group Policy.

Quote from the following thread:

This policy setting specifies whether Security Center is turned on or off for computers that are joined to an Active Directory domain. When Security Center is turned on, it monitors essential security settings and notifies the user when the computer might be at risk. The Security Center Control Panel category view also contains a status section, where the user can get recommendations to help increase the computer's security.  When Security Center is not enabled on the domain, neither the notifications nor the Security Center status section are displayed.

Deploy Remote Access with Network Access Protection-Windows Server 2012 NAP group policy setting

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649081.aspx#BKMK_Step6

NAPSTAT.exe not displaying notification automatically when non-compliant on XP SP3 client

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/winserverNAP/thread/b2d72b80-28d1-4786-ac02-074ed2c78b52

Best Regards,

Aiden

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Aiden Cao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 7, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Everything is turned on per manual. Inlcuding the Security Center.

It is not that I can't see anything in the Security Center. It's just you don't get any notifications that pops up at the taskbar. Most users aren't aware of the Security Center.

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security

Friday, December 7, 2012 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Aiden Cao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Aiden_Cao Monday, December 10, 2012 2:19 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

based on my knowledge, if you type "netsh nap client show state", You can check if the clietn is limited or not. 

And when you type "napstat" in the command prompt, the warning message will show up at the right-bottom corner of the desk.

Here is the articles for your reference:

verify NAP Client Configuration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771010.aspx

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Annie 

• Proposed as answer by Aiden_Cao Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Boudewijn Plomp Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:33 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 9:32 AM
  • I currently also have this "problem". Is there a way to automatically show the napstat GUI in case the client is in an unhealthy state?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:27 PM