none
Where is Netstat, nbtstat and attrib? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello PosReady,

those tools are not available on WEPOS, are they available on Posready2009? If not, how can I include them in the system?
    Thanks beforehand,

Solo Software
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• I have confirmed that NETSTAT.EXE is NOT in POSReady and was never in WEPOS either.  We have never received a DCR requesting to add this capability through support that I am aware of.  If there is a requirement for NETSTAT.EXE, please open a Support Incident explaining the requirement along with business justification so that the DCR can be evaluated.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:52 AM

All replies

• If they are not there, then you could copy them over from XP Pro.

-sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Sean, that was so easy. Thanks, I tought they where a library that needed to be installed.
    thank you

Monday, December 14, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Hello,

We contacted the OEM Embedded Devices Channel Manager for Eastern Europe, Mr. Ostap Martschenko in this issue (our distributor, Elbacom Austria has given us the direct contact)
    Mr. Martschenko didn't tell us explicitly, that we are allowed to copy 'netstat.exe' - he advised us to use another product (WES2009) for this issue.

We are concerning much about license-restrictions - so I would like to know whether it is planned to release an update-package for POSReady2009 in future, like it was released for WePOS ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927582/en-us/ ) which installed several minor utilities like attrib.exe, ...

Thanking you in advance!

Best regards,
    Roman Maier
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:11 AM

• Solo,

NBTSTAT and ATTRIB are both in POSReady.  I believe NBTSTAT is included in the Network Services optional component while ATTRIB is included in the Command Line Utilities optional component.  You will find the Command Line Utilities optional component under Accessories and Utilities - Utilities.

I need to determine what is going on with NETSTAT, but as near as I can tell it is not included with POSReady. OEM's cannot copy the binary from another source like XP Pro or XP Embedded as it VIOLATES the OEM Licensing Agreement.   If additional functionality is required the appropriate method for resolution is to open an Official Support Incident with Microsoft Support along with business justification why the additional functionality is needed.  This is the only thing that will initialize the process.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Sean,

An OEM cannot copy binaries from another location such as XP Pro or XP Embedded to supply additional functionality than was originally shipped with WEPOS or POSReady.  Doing so VIOLATES the OEM Licensing Agreement.  If additional binaries are required we must treat this as a Design Change Request.  The correct way to start the process for resolution is for them to open a support incident explaining why the functionality is required and provide business justification. 

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:16 AM

• I have confirmed that NETSTAT.EXE is NOT in POSReady and was never in WEPOS either.  We have never received a DCR requesting to add this capability through support that I am aware of.  If there is a requirement for NETSTAT.EXE, please open a Support Incident explaining the requirement along with business justification so that the DCR can be evaluated.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification Terry,

Well at least PosReady2009 has 2 out of 3.

I can live without a command line NetStat.exe, but it is extremely useful when you suspect the customer machine is being hacked or compromised, and there is nothing in your toolbox to fight it (with WEPOS).

With this folks that did make a copy to improve functionality, will remove them.

Solo Software

Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:39 PM