Application services not starting automatically after unexpected shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have multiple VM's (variety of *nix, 2008 R2 and 2012 R2) on an ESXi host which is currently having issues.  PSOD's have caused unexpected shutdowns to all machines on the host.  This has not been an issue for the *nix or 2008 R2 VM's, they come back up and happily continue with what they were doing (apart from asking why they shut down unexpectedly).  However, I am testing out some new servers on 2012 R2 (SQL and PRTG) and I am quite new to this server OS.  Upon powering the 2012 R2 VM's back on, they start up and respond OK, but the services for SQL and PRTG (which are both set to start automatically) are stopped.  Checking the Event Viewer I see the below:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          17/11/2014 11:58:00
    Event ID:      7009
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      (removed)
    Description:   A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the PRTG Core Server Service service to connect.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          17/11/2014 11:52:23
    Event ID:      7009
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      (removed)
    Description:   A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service to connect.

If I do a graceful shutdown and start, or reboot, the services start up fine, it's only after an unexpected shutdown.  I don't think it's an application issue, as it's happening to two very different applications and I don't think it's a host/VMware issue, as it's only happening on the 2012 R2 VM's.  I know both of these applications come back up working fine on 2008 R2 after an unexpected shutdown, so it must be related to 2012 R2, but I don't what it could be.  I also re-downloaded the media and rebuilt the PRTG server but it still happens, so I don't think it's a corrupted ISO.

Any ideas please?

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:12 PM

Answers

All replies