Can ExpressionWeb be used to edit SharePoint 2003 sites? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just starting at a company and they want me to expand our SharePoint 2003 sites, but they don't have FrontPage or SharePoint Designer. However, they do have ExpressionWeb. I know that this isn't the purpose of ExpressionWeb, but since (I believe) it was built on FrontPage, can it be used to edit SharePoint 2003 sites like FrontPage?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• The short answer is no. SharePoint Designer essentially is Expression Web plus the ability to do "stuff" with SharePoint. Expression Web does not have the ability to work with SharePoint. I'd recommend getting SharePoint Designer as it will allow you to work with SharePoint 2003 and 2007 if your company decides to upgrade. Just for completeness, here is a link to the differences between SharePoint Designer and Expression Web http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepointdesigner/archive/2007/01/31/sharepoint-designer-2007-and-expression-web.aspx

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:18 PM
  •  

Yup, can vouch the fact that Expression Web is a follow-on product of FrontPage 2003 for non SharePoint sites.

Sharepoint Designer will do the trick, however it is incredibly fiddly to work with. I have been working with SPD 2007 for a few months now, with over 4 years experience of FP 2003 and I've *just* about got the hang of it.

Uzma

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:12 PM