taskbar always on top RRS feed

• General discussion

• Probably I am one of a few people who permanently uses the taskbar vertically
    on the left hand side of the screen. A useful setting in this situation is not to
    have the taskbar always on top. Having the taskbar always on top is not convenient
    because when you want to go to the File menu of some application if you move
    your mouse faster you risk activating the taskbar and covering the menu. Then
    you must move your mouse outside the taskbar and retry carefully to activate
    the menu. Is there any setting/tweak that allows me to set the taskbar as an
    always bottom window (like the windows xp taskbar)?

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:57 PM

All replies

• its easy, just goto taskbar properties and uncheck the autohide taskbar option and click ok. 
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:19 PM
  • its easy, just goto taskbar properties and uncheck the autohide taskbar option and click ok. 

No, that setting is something else entirely.  The setting "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows", was removed from Windows 7.

I don't know which way Windows 7 is supposed to be.  I have my Taskbar set on autohide.  I guess the Taskbar is supposed to be always on top, since it is usually on top when I display it.  Once in a while, a window such as IE will "take over" to the point that the Taskbar will be under it.

This is just one of the many places where Microsoft removed user choice from Windows 7.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:33 PM
  • I agree. I have my taskbar on the left and auto-hide turned on (it means I have full access to all the tasks without them covering each other up)

But all too often when I move my mouse over the taskbar, it does not open over the top of any applications I have open and sometimes opens under them or not at all.

What use is this? Sorry, that was rhetorical - it's absolutely no use what so ever. Using the win button means that the start menu is selected so I cannot directly access another app. using Win-T selects the top app on the task bar and using alt-tab to flip around the apps is too long I want to be able to switch to another app directly not serially.

Also, why does Outlook 2003 keep glowing blue on the taskbar when it's opening. It takes so long I want it to do its thing in the background whilst I do other stuff but the taskbar keeps overlaying what I want to do and I have to keep minimising outlook.

Grrrr

Andrew/

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:04 PM