none
"The system cannot find the file specified" error when installing package using DISM and Pkgmgr RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to test the integrity of some ".cab" packages through DISM and Package Manager but I keep getting the generic error message "the system cannot find the file specified".

In Package Manager, I use the syntax,

Command Prompt> pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:c:\test\test.cab

Alternatively, I might add quotes around the pathname:

Command Prompt> pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:"c:\test\test.cab"

The error received in pkgmgr is:

Operation failed with 0X80070002.  The system cannot find the file specified.

My initial impression was that my syntax was incorrect, though I can't spot the error.  The path points to "test.cab" which is a renamed windows addon which contains the necessary "svcpack" folder and the "entries_XX.ini" file.  I've used several different ".cab" files, including some downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog, with the same result.  Hopefully this rules out the possibility of a corrupt or incompatible file.  I've also tried this whole procedure on different computers, and have received the exact same error code, so i doubt the pkgmgr tool istelf is corrupt.

Lastly, I've tried an alternative Windows 7/8 tool DISM to try to achieve essentially the same task using the following syntax in an elevated command prompt:

Commnand Prompt> dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:c:\test\test.cab

This produces a similar error:

An error occurred trying to open - c:\test\test.cab Error: 0x80070002
    Error: 2
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

The DISM log produces error messages "Failed opening package" and "Failed to get the underlying CBS package."

I am really unsure as to why I am producing these errors.  Any insight is appreciated.
    • Changed type samsilburt Sunday, February 28, 2016 2:39 PM didn't see the option at time of posting
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:17 PM

Answers

All replies