Alert by filtered view not available RRS feed

• Question

• I have a view filtered by the status of workflows. (I'm trying to do this: http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/30840/automatically-notify-admin-when-a-workflow-fails ).  Apparently other's are doing this so it should be working. (seen multiple posts where people it works for them)  I have the filter set to show only when workflow is equal to 3.  Which is "error occurred".  The filter works fine in the list.  The problem is that when I try to create an alert, there is NO option to create the alert on a specific view.  It apparently doesn't like this particular filter?

Any ideas on how I can create alert....or, is there an alternative method of doing this?   Send an email when a workflow fails.

Thanks!

Friday, November 22, 2013 2:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• IMGooch, You can't set alerts on the views if their filters are based on workflow columns! That is by design.

Alerts will not work for the views if there is a filtering based on System Generated / Calculated columns. 

• Proposed as answer by Scott Brickey Friday, November 22, 2013 9:53 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 8:49 PM
  • 1.  Why not?

2.  Why are others on the internet saying that they are doing just that if it isn't possible?

3.  Do you have any thoughts on how else this could be done?  I keep having workflows that fail, for assorted reasons, but have no way of knowing until a user yells at me that such and such didn't happen.

Friday, November 22, 2013 8:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Scott Brickey Friday, November 22, 2013 9:53 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 9:05 PM
  • I think I found the answer here:  http://sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=122

I haven't tested it yet but I was able to create the alert on the filtered view.

Thanks

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:09 PM
  • lol.  jinx.

thanks!

Now if only I could translate the list id's into something recognizable...

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:13 PM