none
Outlook add-on for My Tasks time tracking RRS feed

• Question

• LS

We are on Windows 7 (for the most part) and Office 2007 and also Project Server 2007.

Does the Outlook add-on work when using the My Tasks route to entering hours and what ar the recommendations that go with it.

Are there benefits when switching to PS 2010 in this area.

--- TT

Friday, January 7, 2011 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

to be honest, I don't like this add-on. I have experienced some issues in the past. But honestly, I have never check after SP2, perhaps it changed now. I prefer a solution, msProjectExperts described: http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=77

When you switch to PS2010, there are some changes:

• there is no add-on any longer, it is syncing with Exchange server
    • Project Server tasks can only be imported as tasks into Exchange, so into Outlook (no calendar entry)
    • the most important one from my point of view: you can't use tracking method "time per period", if you want to update progress in Outlook.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, January 7, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

to be honest, I don't like this add-on. I have experienced some issues in the past. But honestly, I have never check after SP2, perhaps it changed now. I prefer a solution, msProjectExperts described: http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=77

When you switch to PS2010, there are some changes:

• there is no add-on any longer, it is syncing with Exchange server
    • Project Server tasks can only be imported as tasks into Exchange, so into Outlook (no calendar entry)
    • the most important one from my point of view: you can't use tracking method "time per period", if you want to update progress in Outlook.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, January 7, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hi Barbara, that is very helpful.

Is it correct that I hear you say the following -

• in PS 2010, we can show the tasks in outlook
    • actual work and remaining work show in a non-time-phased manner
    • we cannot update progress in Outlook (since in my implemenation we do use 'time per period' as tracking method

2 questions -

Any chance that a third-party application will emerge to address this hole and enable 'time per period' tracking from Outlook (we have Exchange Server installed).

I suppose we can still show the My Tasks page as a folder in Outlook in 2010

--- TT

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hi Tonie,

yes, you can show tasks in Outlook. But I don't know, how they show up. Since it is not possible to do "time per period" tracking there, I have never looked at it. This tracking method is mandatory for all my implementations.

I have no idea if a third party product will provide a solution. I am afraid, that there were some technical issues/restrictions, otherwise it was already available? Perhaps it will be done by any SP?

I had a short look at folfers in Outlook with 2010 and it looked good.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Texas Tonie --

To add to the excellent information Barbara has already given, in the world of Project Server 2007, I think your team members would be much happier with the solution I developed and which Barbara shared with you.  This solution is NOT used the Project Server add-in for Outlook, but instead involves asking each team member to create an Outlook folder whose Home page in the My Tasks page in PWA.  This allows team members to see the complete My Tasks page and to completely enter progress using whatever method your organization uses.  For example, if your organization used the % Work Complete method of tracking, our company recommends that you also ask team members to report Actual Start dates and Actual Finish dates, in addition to their estimated % Work Complete value.  If you attempt to use the Outlook add-in with this method of tracking, the add-in DOES NOT include the Actual Start and Actual Finish fields, so you cannot accurately track progress in Outlook as a consequence.  If team members add the Outlook folder whose Home page is the My Tasks page, and the Project Server administrator added the Actual Start and Actual Finish columns to the page, then team members can fully enter progress in the My Tasks page through Outlook.

I wish I was some kind of genius for coming up with this solution, but alas, I am not.  In Project Server 2003, there was an automated way that the system allowed team members to create a folder in Outlook whose Home page was the View My Tasks page.  This functionality was removed in Project Server 2007, to my dismay, but I figured out how to create the folder manually.  So, if you really want team members to update progress from Outlook with Project Server 2007, I would strongly encourage you to consider the solution Barbara offered to you, which is the solution I developed. Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, January 7, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi Dale,

thanks for this excellent solutions. My customers are happy with (the ones not working with your great WebParts ;-).

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, January 7, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Ok Thanks Dale.

We'll likely switch to PS 2010 in the spring so I will revisit this then. Thanksforyour excellent help.

--- TT

Friday, January 7, 2011 9:53 PM