none
Backup Large files on Site then Move offsite RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking into a way to get an offsite backup going, we are upgrading 11 servers all with about 600 Gb of Data each.  I only have 5/5 pipes to our central location, one of the things I would like to try and do is use DPM to backup our files.  I was wondering if there was a way I could Create a master backup on site, then import ? this backup onto our SAN at central office. Then create a backup job for the server which points to the imported DPM data.  I need to do this for 11 servers, which will all eventually point back to the 1 SAN.

So:

Create Master Backup Site 1 :  Import Site 1 to SAN at central location : Create a DPM backup (at the Central locatio, pointing to the remote) to Increment the imported backup.

My fear is that with the large amounts of initial data I need to transfer my 5/5 pipes will not be enough to get started.

Thank you

Shawn

Monday, July 4, 2011 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Shawn,

You can create a manual replica and then synchronize it. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399552.aspx

Depending on your replica size vs. available bandwidth it can take up to many hours on large datasources.  Here is a link with some estimated times.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795811.aspx

Thanks
    Shane

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:34 PM
  • I've tried many times to use the manual replica but its not working. I asked if someone actually proved it and i didnt get an answer.

I had a similar case and i used "throttle computer" and throttle the bandwith for each DPM agent and then "optimize performance" and you "enable on-the-wire" compression. That will move the load from your network to the servers themselves. But you have to make sure that the servers does have enough resources.

I transfered over than 1TB of data from different site to my DPM server through 256 KB connection and the above worked for me but it took alot of time.

Good luck!

Laith.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:06 AM
  • Hello Laith,

I have performed a manual replica before with little issues.  What problem (error) did you run into when you tried it?

Thanks

Shane

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Hi shane,

I've created the volume and when i run the consistency check it keeps telling me replica inconsistant. I've tried it many times with many servers without any results.

Have you succesffully tried it?

Thanks,

Laith.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Hello,

I'd start checking for VSS errors then. If you created a manual replica following the link above, then the bulk of the data will in the replica volume.  The consistency check will move over the rest of the changed blocks.

Thanks
    Shane

Saturday, August 6, 2011 3:40 PM