SP1 final change? Vista Recovery Disc creation tool missing RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey folks, in an early Beta of SP1, there was a utility for creating a Vista Recovery Disk, essentially a stripped version of Windows PE that allowed people with Vista media to create a disc to let them run start up repair. You may have seen this Vista Recovery Disc (about 120mb) floating around the Internet since that release.

I've downloaded and installed sp1 through the technet plus top download link that popped up earlier this afternoon and all went very smoothly for me (about 45-50 minutes and a couple of reboots), but I notice the tool is not where it once was...START > ALL PROGRAMS > MAINTENANCE > VISTA RECOVERY DISC creator

Did the tool get stripped from the final sp1 release?

Ultimately, it's not a big deal for me since a) I have the media, and b) it can be created as I understand it through the Windows Automated Installation Kit, but it seems that was a great little tool for the folks who never received Windows media with there bix box PCs and laptops.

It's a shame if it was removed--or, did I my install not work as smoothly as I thought?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:16 PM

Answers

• Just in case anybody is still trying to get this program to work it is possible. you need to grab recdisc.exe from the SP1 RTM version recdisc.exe.
    Then open up the c:/windows/system32 folder. right click on the recdisc.exe file and change the security settings. (right click on the file then)
    Select the “Security” tab and click “Advanced”.
    Select the “Owner” tab and click “Edit…”
    you first need to add your user account under ownership to full access. then (from the main file security setting screen click edit to) change the user access rights to full.
    once this is done copy the rec.exe file accross into the system32 folder and replace. double click to run or create a shortcut on the desktop if you want to run it easily.
    It's worked 100% on all the systems I have done this on. If you would like the recdisc.exe file feel free to e-mail me and I will gladly send it to you. quite happy to give a more detailed rundown if anybody need it. Hope this helps
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:41 AM

All replies

• It's still there, just no shortcut this time around. Look in C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe. Now getting it work is another thing, i haven't been able to run it yet.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Ahh, so it is. And you're right,I cannot get it to run, either.

Interesting

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:12 PM
  • I've also been able to find it but it won't run from either, has anyone been able to get it to run?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:00 PM
  • I don't need it, but I can't get it to run anyway, either.   Have you filed a bug report?

Meanwhile here's a download of it...don't use the Bittorrent one:  http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:31 PM
  •  Ex_Brit1941 wrote:

I don't need it, but I can't get it to run anyway, either.   Have you filed a bug report?

Meanwhile here's a download of it...don't use the Bittorrent one:  http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Yes, I filed a bug report---sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I ran into the dreaded and infamous "log-out whenever you try to post to a technet forum" bug.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:27 PM
  • sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I ran into the dreaded and infamous "log-out whenever you try to post to a technet forum" bug.

That happens to me on a daily basis with these boards....grrrrr.  You'd think that MSFT could get that part right at least...LOL

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Did anyone manage to get recdisc.exe working yet?

Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  irulats wrote:
    Did anyone manage to get recdisc.exe working yet?

No, and the web is strangely silent about it.  The only good reference is that Neosmart Blog one above.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:26 AM
  • Actually, I have started another Vista recovery Disk issue thread a few weeks ago and all replies I  got had the same content: "I can't get it start either", "it does not work for me either", "I have the same problem" etc.

I don't think there is a way to run this application. More likely, it is some kind of decorative element in SP1.

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Just in case anybody is still trying to get this program to work it is possible. you need to grab recdisc.exe from the SP1 RTM version recdisc.exe.
    Then open up the c:/windows/system32 folder. right click on the recdisc.exe file and change the security settings. (right click on the file then)
    you first need to add your user account under ownership to full access. then (from the main file security setting screen click edit to) change the user access rights to full.
    once this is done copy the rec.exe file accross into the system32 folder and replace. double click to run or create a shortcut on the desktop if you want to run it easily.
    It's worked 100% on all the systems I have done this on. If you would like the recdisc.exe file feel free to e-mail me and I will gladly send it to you. quite happy to give a more detailed rundown if anybody need it. Hope this helps
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I've emailed you at your email address without the comma character. I hope it's correct. Thanks.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:14 AM
  • got the e-mail and replied Smile
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:00 AM
  •  c4 consulting wrote:
    Just in case anybody is still trying to get this program to work it is possible. you need to grab recdisc.exe from the SP1 RTM version recdisc.exe.

Wow! I feel like a moron now. Thank you for pointing this out. I don't know why that didn't occur to me anyway.
    It works just as it should now.
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Thank you C4. File received and working perfectly. Great job!

Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:03 PM
  • C4,

Thank you for sending the recdisc.exe.  When I ran it, it asked for the windows vista installation disc which I don't have.  I thought this program will create one for me, please help.

Peter

Friday, May 9, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Unfortunately you do need a windows install cd to run this program, if you e-mail me what your version of windows your running. i can send the iso file you need.

Just another note this cd cannot be used to install/re-install windows

Due to the excess e-mail I have received I have created a detailed guide on this forum which you can find here
    Or for the full guide complete with screen shots and the needed file  here
     Hope this helps Smile
    Monday, May 19, 2008 1:25 AM
  • Hi c4! I just emailed you.

Thanks in advance! Smile

Sunday, June 15, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I cannot find recdisc.exe in c/windows/system32  folder or on the Vista Business with SP1 install DVD.  Also would like more detailed rundown on using recdisc.exe.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Hi C4

Would you please email it to me at

director at 1tripcamera.com

Thank you

Max

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I am having a hard time trying to make a recovery disk for my Windows Vista Home operating program. Could you please help me. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Have a Blessed Day. 

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Hi Guy's,
    Sorry havent checked this post for a while. The recovery .iso disk is available at the link below. (Just download and burn with nero) or for those that want to try it themselves there is a full pictorial guide. Hope this help's you all
    http://c4consulting.com.au/soluctions/vista/VISTA%20SOLUCTIONS.htm

kind regards

Jo-el Huber
    C4 consulting

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Hi Jo-el

Thank you for the link, unfortunately it did not work today when I tried.

Regards

Max

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:22 AM
  • try this link then http://www.c4consulting.com.au/soluctions/vista/VISTA%20SOLUCTIONS.htm
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:25 AM
  • Ok third time lucky
    http://www.c4consulting.com.au/soluctions/vista/VISTA SOLUCTIONS.htm
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:11 AM
  • To burn your own set of recovery discs, select:  Start>All Programs>Recovery Manager>Recovery Manager.  Then click Advanced Options>Recovery disc creation.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Can you please email the application to pr2k at bellsouth.net?  THanks in advance for your help.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:16 PM
  • For what it's worth, the tool works for me in Windows 7 from both Programs and Windows 32.   I'd like to test it in Vista, but I don't have Vista on any boxes anymore.  I thought it was in Vista SP1 and worked.  It was a very good move by MSFT to put it in Vista SP1 if they did, but if it doesn't work they should fix it in SP2.

Thanks for the info.

CH
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Howdy all just wanted to post the recovery cd iso file
    http://www.c4consulting.com.au/downloads/1Vista%20sp1%20repairONLY%20disk.iso
    download and burn using nero or whatever burning software it is that you use
    Hope this helps :D
    jhuber@c4consulting.com.au
    • Proposed as answer by c4consulting Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:50 AM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Do you still offer this file?
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:38 PM