Manually failover Windows 2008 cluster RRS feed

• Question

• So, this is my first Windows 2008 R2 cluster and I have to say, the cluster manager leaves a LOT to be desired.  It seems to contain about everything that you would want to do, EXCEPT the single most important and most common action ever performed with a cluster - failing it over.  I haven't even gotten to SQL Server yet, I'm only at the Windows layer.  I have the cluster configured.  I have no clue if it is going to even function yet, short of ripping the hardware out from underneath it, which is a pretty stupid thing for the Windows team to require.  I want to MANUALLY fail over the WINDOWS cluster.  I can't find anything in the documentation or in 45 minutes of searching online that tells me how I'm supposed to go about doing that.  Lacking the ability to manually initiate a fail over of the Windows cluster, I guess I'm going to have to resort to killing the machine that the cluster is currently running on and make it forcibly fail over.
    Mike Hotek mhotek@mssqlserver.com
    Monday, January 10, 2011 4:41 PM

Answers

• From command prompt use below

Cluster resgroup "Cluster Group" /Move

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Hotek Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Michael Hotek Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Hotek Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:00 AM
  • You cannot fail or move the Cluster Group or the Available Storage group via GUI.  All other groups fail or move as requested by the GUI.  The Cluster and Available storage groups still respond to Cluster.exe or PowerShell commands.

And yes, that is a glaring omission.  The intent was to make the cluster group "invisible" so users would quit putting resources into it.  The practical result was less than expected.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• From command prompt use below

Cluster resgroup "Cluster Group" /Move

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Hotek Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Michael Hotek Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Just to make sure that I understand this.  You can do just about everything inside the Cluster Manager, but to actually perform a cluster management operation like failing the cluster over, it requires you to use a command prompt?
    Mike Hotek mhotek@mssqlserver.com
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:20 PM
  • You cannot fail or move the Cluster Group or the Available Storage group via GUI.  All other groups fail or move as requested by the GUI.  The Cluster and Available storage groups still respond to Cluster.exe or PowerShell commands.

And yes, that is a glaring omission.  The intent was to make the cluster group "invisible" so users would quit putting resources into it.  The practical result was less than expected.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Michael,

How does one manually fail the cluster over in Windows Server 2003?  I was hoping to find an answer in the book you wrote ("SQL Server 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance"), chapter 14 (SQL Server clustering), which describes how to build a cluster using Win 2003 :-)

• Edited by pl80 Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:07 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hi Michael, if your intent to fail over from the gui is simply to "test" the cluster, then you should really be looking at cluster validation. From your use of the terminology, I think you are slightly confusing the technology, and there is not really any intrinsic need to failover the cluster group. I could quite easily argue why abstraction of the cluster group is a good thing (especially to protect it from those people I have seen in the past who ultimately end up taking down production clusters thru their lack of experience and understanding) - and things wont be any better for you in win 2012 on this front. 

However, that said, you could very easily create a failover cluster (group) and add in a cluster resource - such as file share and test that thru gui for the purposes that you are looking for.

Final word of advice though, even though all of the above might work for you doesnt necessarily mean your Sql FCI is going to, so the best "test" of health for your cluster failover that you can perform is to attempt to do so on a SQL FCI itself.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog|SQLCloud)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Come and see me at the PASS Summit 2012

Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:54 PM