win 7 home premium dchp issue RRS feed

• General discussion

• My user has 3 new HP desktops from Best Buy all set up the same.  I plug them into a working network I/F ( I now the connectivity works) This is not a domain environment, just a simple workgroup, I have enabled "network discovery" disabled the firewall but cannot get an address from the router.  I can plug the old pc into the same jack, same cable and it works fine....I've tried manually setting a static IP, etc and still cannot get connectivity....any help is greatly appreciated..

Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• Disabling Windows Firewall is not required.

Have you tried using this command?

C:\>ipconfig /renew

Please revert back if the problem still persists. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Hi,

Can you provide some details about the IP address, netmask, DNS settings, and default gateway? The output of ipconfig /all would be useful.

I assume you are using the same settings that the old PC has from DHCP, or similar settings. When you configure a static IP address this way, you can troubleshoot a bit more by pinging the static IP (that you just configured). Next ping the default gateway. Also try pinging some other things that are on the same subnet, if these exist.

You can also right-click the network connection and then click diagnose. This may provide some useful information.

It is doubtful, but perhaps the speed and duplex settings on the new PCs are not set up quite right. You can check this by right-clicking the network interface, clicking Properties, and then clicking Configure next to the ethernet controller name.

-Greg

Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Hi jeffjones54,

Thanks for posting here.

Also check you router and make sure didn’t set any restriction like MAC filter .

Meanwhile, try also updating the latest driver for these new purchased computers or plus into other network that also provide DHCP service and see if can properly obtain lease.

Can you also verify the event log on these client and verify the records for further investigation:

DHCP Client

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726865(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:06 AM