none
Scheduled copy of data from one field to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using Project Server 2010 and PRoject Professional 2010.

Is there a way to set up a time scheduled event that would copy one field to another?

Specifically thinking of whether there is a way to automate the setting of interim / rolling baseline dates so that the previous reporting period's start/finish is recorded for reporting on in the following update. Currently this is done by opening each plan and copying start/finish dates then saving for next week's updates.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• It can be done multiple ways, can you be little more specific on what you are targetting at, is it a custom field wether project level task level resource...... at high level custom formula might be one option, another could be VBA or could be PSI as well, very much of automation is possible

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Mathonex:

It's always best to state the problem rather than ponder a solution. Are you trying to save snapshots of periodic data? Am I interpreting your correctly?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:55 PM
  • It shoulds like you are trying to capture a history of baseline metrics over time.  I think you could use a spreadsheet that runs macros to capture and store the history in other worksheets.  Find a good excel macro writer or build a custome web part.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011, MCC2012
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:33 AM
  • True - thanks - maybe if I describe what we did before Project Server and see if this makes more sense!:

Each reporting period, All Project Managers Submit plans to PMO

PMO ran various checks on plans created reports etc.

Before releasing plans back to project managers PMO saved interim plan - copied Start / Finish to Start1/Finish1

Plans have a custom field with RAG status Indicator on difference between Finish and Finish1 - i.e movement since the previous report

So - problem is I do not want to rely on Project Managers to save the interim plan. At the same time I am wondering if there is a way to automate this with Project Server to reduce the effort for PMO to have to go in and open each plan and save interim plan.

I would like the current forecast start / finish dates to be copied to a field that will apear in the Reporting Database.

We do not need to keep the historic data it can be overwritten at next reporting period.

Hope that is clearer on what I am trying to do.

Thanks

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:07 PM
  • You do want snapshot capability, but you don't care about historic data preservation. What you want to do requires custom coding. We are launching a new tool that does this an a lot more. Not only does it snapshot data, it extends the reporting database with this data and you can use it to track historic changes as well as for trend analytics. It may be overkill for your need, then again it's already built. If you're interested, contact me at msProjectExperts.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:03 PM