"Windows Cannot Display Firewall Settings" Temporary Pop-Up After System Reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am getting the following error message every time I reboot and try to access the Windows Firewall applet in the Control Panel: "Due to an unidentified problem windows cannot display windows firewall settings."

I recently removed a nest of Viruses/Trojans from my computer, and my system has been running fine except for the aforementioned dilemma. I have already tried the following command line prompts (per this article: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm) to no avail:

CMD /K NETSH FIREWALL RESET

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf

PLEASE NOTE: This pop-up is only temporary, and goes away after a minute or two.

What do I do?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:19 AM

All replies

• A little more info...

• If I log in fast enough, I get the following pop-up when I click on Win FW: "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection sharing (ICS) service?"
    • In short, my firewall is only disabled at start-up.
    • I am not running any antivirus or 3rd party firewall at this time.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:55 PM