Secondary Site Server in cloud? (Not Azure DP) RRS feed

• Question

• I was curious if anyone has actually set up a secondary site server in a cloud environment (i.e. AWS, Azure or any IaaS)?  I am not speaking about utilzing the Azure DP feature.  I haven't found much on this anywhere.  In our environment, we have a large base of mobile users who connect via DirectAccess.  My thought would be to set up a boundary group for them ties to the Secondary site server in the cloud rather then them hitting one of our on-prem boxes.  I would not be using this site for OSD.  Thoughts or guidance?  Cheers
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:20 PM

Answers

• Yes, you still control the updates that are to be made available to the clients, and if the setting is enabled on the deployment, then if the client can't find the content on a Configuration Manager distribution point, then the client falls back to Microsoft Update to get the content that you are deploying.

And I'm no one special, just been around for a long time, and now back into the forums :-) Lots of other really, really smart people out there (a lot of them way smarter than I am).

Wally Mead

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:04 PM

All replies

• Sorry, not supported. All the ConfigMgr product group supports in terms of a site in Azure is a standalone primary site with no remote site systems - so certainly no secondary sites.

Wally Mead

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:33 PM
  • I'm curious what you are trying to gain from this that an Azure DP won't give you? I'm considering doing this exact same thing. (DA and an Azure DP)

John Marcum | Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Client Management
    My blog: System Center Admin | Twitter: @SCCM_Marcum | Linkedin: John Marcum

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:57 PM
  • My thought was that Azure DP will not allow software patching so by adding the secondary site we could still leverage that for the DA clients.  Make sense?
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Why do that? ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 already allows clients to download patch content (binaries) from Microsoft Update. So essentially they are coming from the cloud in that environment, and free :-)

Wally Mead

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Awwww, I didn't consider that.  So the agent will still check into it's assigned site and receive the approval of an update and the just utilize MU for the download - is that correct?  BTW, super excited I have the famous Mr. Mead helping me out :)
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Yes, you still control the updates that are to be made available to the clients, and if the setting is enabled on the deployment, then if the client can't find the content on a Configuration Manager distribution point, then the client falls back to Microsoft Update to get the content that you are deploying.

And I'm no one special, just been around for a long time, and now back into the forums :-) Lots of other really, really smart people out there (a lot of them way smarter than I am).

Wally Mead

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Wally is, of course, correct however an Azure DP would also be capable of hosting any content. 

John Marcum | Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Client Management
    My blog: System Center Admin | Twitter: @SCCM_Marcum | Linkedin: John Marcum

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:15 PM