none
OWA / OUTLOOK 2016 - Active Directory "thumbnailPhoto" not showing as expected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Running three Exch 2016 build 15.01.0225.042 Enterprise on Server 2012 R2 Standard.

Copied pictures into AD Attribut thumbnailPhoto

First the Picture showed in Outlook and OWA - then we forced to delete all pictures with Powershell Remove-UserPhoto. The Attribut in AD was then empty and default gray/white icon was displayed in OWA and Outlook - so far so good.

I then changed ability of user to change their own picture using:

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -SetPhotoEnabled $False

We then added picture again - directly into AD Attribut "thumbnailPhoto". Now the picture is displayed in Outlook but does not show up in OWA. Any cache or other magic i am missing?

Thanks and regards

Eve Meier

Monday, May 9, 2016 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Eve,

Base on my research and test, I don't reproduce your question.

To narrow down this issue, please run below command to ensure "DisplayPhotoEnabled" is True:
    Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | FL Identity,*Photo*
    Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | FL Identity,*Photo*

Also, you need run "IISRESET /NOFORCE" to reset IIS to take effect.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:04 AM
  • [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | FL Identity,*Photo*

Identity             : Default
    DisplayPhotosEnabled : True
    SetPhotoEnabled      : False
    SetPhotoURL          :

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | FL Identity,*Photo*

Identity             : EXCH1\owa (Default Web Site)
    SetPhotoURL          :

Identity             : EXCH2\owa (Default Web Site)
    SetPhotoURL          :

Identity             : EXCH3\owa (Default Web Site)
    SetPhotoURL          :

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

C:\Windows\system32>IISRESET /NOFORCE

Attempting stop...
    Internet services successfully stopped
    Attempting start...
    Internet services successfully restarted

C:\Windows\system32>
    I then waited 30min - picture still shows up in outlook but not in OWA

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Please try to remove current OWA VD and recreate OWA virtual directory for testing.

If this issue persists, please try to update to CU1 to double confirm.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:30 PM
  • Name                : EXCH1
    Edition             : Enterprise
    AdminDisplayVersion : Version 15.1 (Build 396.30)

Name                : EXCH2

Name                : EXCH3

OWA directory on all three servers:
    OWA Version: Exchange2013, internal and external URL same
    Authentication: Use forms-based authentication, user name only, domain xy
    features: everything checked (active)
    file access: everythin checked (active)

User sees AD picture in Word..In Outlook i see picture in Mail but not under "file"  and still not in OWA
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:23 AM

• Any other advice?
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Hi all,

I have exact the same problems with a new installation of single Exch 2016 CU1 server like Eve has.

We've added via the application "Exclaimer Outlook Photos" all pictures into Active Directory, that application stores by default the picture in the "thumbnailPhoto" field in Active Directory, all picture were resized to 96x96.

Like with Eve it worked without any problem both on OWA as in Office apps like Word or Outlook for some weeks.

Then because we had some "fools" that for fun changed their pictures to offending pictures we decided to disable that people can change their pictures by appying the following 2 commands:

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -SetPhotoEnabled $False
    Get-OWAMailboxPolicy | Set-OWAMailboxPolicy -SetPhotoEnabled $False

After restarting the webserver via the IIS Manager, this worked .. people where unable to change their pictures ..

Then - since so much people changed their pictures allready and our HR-departement wanted everybody to have their "official company picture" displayed I run the following command to remove all pictures from Active Directory:

Get-MailboxDatabase | Get-Mailbox | Set-Mailbox -RemovePicture
    Update-GlobalAddressList -Identity "Default Global Address List"
    Update-OfflineAddressBook -Identity "Default Offline Address Book"

Afterwards we added for everybody their "official" picture again with "Exclaimer Outlook Photos".

So far so good we thought .. the correct pictures are displayed in office applications ..
    But unfortunatly not in OWA!

We did allready several reboots meanwhile but problems still is there ..

The strange thing is that it is only with existing accounts, for newly created accounts their picture is displayed in both OWA and in office applications.
    For the "old" accounts its only displayed in office applications .....

The thumbnails that Exchange creates "on the fly" the first time  somebody requests a thumbnail are aparently stored in the folder:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\ xxxxx \HR96x96

For every user / group / shared mailbox that has a photo it creates a file like
    "_NAMEOFF THEPERSON-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg"

for all existing users (before we removed the pictures with that command) the file size is 0 bytes!
    for all new created user mailboxes / groups / shared mailboxes it has a size ...

So I think the problems is somewhere with the generation of those thumbnails .. even deleting them all and restarting the server doesn't help .. the files are recreated with a filesize of 0 bytes for the exisiting ones ... new ones still are recreated ...

Someone has a clue ?

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delay.

For your question, I suppose that the method to import mailbox photo do not add correct file to mailbox store.
    As above mentioned and I test again in my lab, the photo will copy to mailbox store in below location, and the size of picture file should not be 0.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\<domain name>-<GUID>\HR96x96

For testing, please try to use use Set-UserPhoto command to import mailbox photo, for example:
    Set-UserPhoto “Nuno Mota” -PictureData ([System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes(“D:\Photos\nuno.jpg”)) –Confirm:$False
    Note: The recommended thumbnail photo size in pixels is 96×96 pixels.

Allen Wang

Friday, July 8, 2016 10:55 AM
  • I tried to set a 96x96 Picture to my account by using the command you provided. It showed up in OWA immediatly with no Problems. In Word and other Office Products i could only(still) see the old picture.

Even after logoff/logon to client machine. Why is this?

And:

We plan on setting the photos directly in AD, into the users "thumbnailPhoto" attribut.
    Looks like this:
    m_deUser.Properties["thumbnailPhoto"].Clear();
    m_deUser.Properties["thumbnailPhoto"].Add(a_photoData);

So we are not setting the photos per PowerShell - This works for Office Products. Apparently not for OWA.

Is there a command to notify Exchange/OWA about changed pictures in AD?

Or to Clear some kind of cache that Is preventing OWA from showing the correct picture?

Thanks alot for answering once again,

Regards Eve Meier

Friday, July 8, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Which "Office Products" are you mentioned above?

I suppose that it only add the value into thumbnailPhoto properties in AD instead of mailbox store, that's the point.
    Here's a similar thread about your question, for your reference:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a261291c-4c79-4c5f-a5bf-66e3ac2d06c6/force-update-users-thumbnailphoto-from-ad?forum=exchangesvrclients

Allen Wang

Sunday, July 10, 2016 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your fast and good answer.

Using Set-UserPhoto

In Word, Excel, OneNote and Outlook (maybe also in other Office Products) I could still see the old picture. Even after logoff/logon to client machine.

Today, 3 Days later, no server restarts, i partly see my new picture. I added some screenshots so it is clear what i see:

Correct Picture: account info (word, excel...), when clicking on name (word, excel...), OWA top right.

Wrong Picture: OWA settings tab, Outlook Info, author (word, excel...)

My questions to Set-UserPhoto:

Why did picture not update immediately everywhere after adding by using Set-UserPhoto?

Is there any possibility to view source-code of Set-UserPhoto or to see what Set-UserPhoto exactly does? Technet Wiki doesnt help...

Can I push some kind of command to force also Office Products to update immediately

How can i make OWA Settings, outlook info and author in Office Products show the correct picture as well?

Storage concerns to Set-UserPhoto / Remove-UserPhoto

When adding a picture via Set-UserPhoto three copies are saved to Exchange (exch1) on which usermailbox is currently running into Folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\

After failover the pictures are then saved to next Exchange server (exch2) on which usermailbox is active. So now pictures are saved to two Exchange server (exch1 and exch2). This would use approx. 8kb storage per User...

Can this be stored to a different path? Is there any way to clean up old or unused pictures?

Futhermore Technetarticle https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218694%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 says:

"User photos are stored in the user's Active Directory account and in the root directory of the user's Exchange mailbox"

I assume I may not delete pictures in  C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\  directly? Only using Remove-UserPhoto command?

Sadly the Remove-UserPhoto command onlykind of deletes files from current Exchange Server. It leaves a file with 0byte. Files on former Servers stay stored. AD part is deleted as expected.

Using AD Attribut directly

I tried adding picture via AD directly - and then i ran

Get-GlobalAddressList | Update-GlobalAddressList

as mentioned in the posts you linked. This does not work.

We need to edit AD Attribut directly so we do not have to save user picture before importing. Additionally the programm we are using to creat all users and also to set picture is not based on powershell.

My questions to using AD Attribut directly

Adding picture to AD Attribut "thumbnailPhoto" worked fine for inital setup (the first time). As soon as picture was changed by user and/or  AD Attribut was set by Admin it didn't work anymore. Why is this?

Is there a command to notify Exchange/OWA about changed pictures in AD?

Or to Clear some kind of cache that Is preventing OWA from showing the correct picture?

Thanks, Regards

Eve Meier

Monday, July 11, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

Since this's Exchange forum and I'm not family with account in Office product, would you please troubleshooting this issue on Exchange first?

Sorry for any inconvenience, and the screenshots isn't visible, please upload again.

For Exchange account, please run below steps and ensure it works expect:
    1. Get-Mailbox mailname | Remove-UserPhoto
    2. Then you can check the thumbnailPhoto properties in AD, also check file under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\<domain name>-<GUID>\HR96x96"(The location is built-in and can't modified as far as I know).
    3. If it removed, then use "Set-UserPhoto" to upload and test again in OWA\Outlook client.

As end user, they can modify the mailbox photo by OWA, if you set SetPhotoEnabled to true.

I'll test the mailbox photo behavior in DAG, and update here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Allen Wang

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Hi, 

Remove-UserPhoto leaves 0 byte file on current server (DAG database activ) in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\<domain name>-<GUID>\HR96x96"  AND in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\<domain name>-<GUID>\HR648x648"

And leaves "old" files on former active servers.

Set-UserPhoto works immediately for OWA. Not for Outlook 2016 (Outlook-File-Info).

Set-PhotoEnabled is false - end user can not change photo.

Please test behavior in DAG for storage usage of picture / possibilities of clean up and more important for loading picture directly into/from AD without using Set-UserPhoto.

If we fill thumbnailPhoto Attribut of User in AD directly and run Get-UserPhoto it reads photo data from AD correctly. But OWA does not display photo. If we pipe Get-UserPhoto into Set-UserPhoto with Powershell the Photo is displayed immediatly.

Is it possible to see what kind of commands Set-UserPhoto uses in addition to adding picture to AD? Is there a command to notify Exchange/OWA about changed pictures in AD? Or to Clear some kind of cache that Is preventing OWA from showing the correct picture?

We need a solution for updating OWA when picture (thumbnailPhoto) in AD changes. 

Thanks,

Eve Meier

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Further advice?
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:45 AM
  • Hello,

It is an old topic but it seems the problem continues..

We have two servers. 2010 and 2016.. 

2010 doesnt have any users on it. the users using 2010 migrated to 2016 a while ago.(maybe the problem might be related to this)

Anyway,

I just copied the active directory thumbnails with CodeTwo software.. Some are png some are jpg.. none of them over 100 kb..Different sizez thumbnails.

Now I have photos of all users on Outlook, office applications etc.. except OWA.

When I checked the Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\<domain name>-<GUID>\HR96x96  folder, there are some users with thumbnails created, and some just with filenames with 0 bytes..

fl-identity checks on both mail and virtual directory shows all parameters set to true..

IISRESET also didnt have any effects..

Just if I manually set picture set-userphoto, it creates a correct sized photo..

So it seems there is a mismatch between active directory and owa thumbnail creation..

Any advices welcome

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Also having problems with this.  We had all our photos set in Active Directory and then a few users changed their photos in OWA.  We turned off the ability for users to change photos and then proceeded to reset the photos they had changed in AD.  It didnt replace their photos.  So we used the Remove-UserPhoto command for those photos and then reset their photos in AD.  Still no change.  It's like once the user changes their photo, some flag or tag gets set that tells OWA to look at OWA for the photo, not AD.  

This shouldnt be that hard to fix.  Is there anyone at Microsoft that actually knows how this works?

Saturday, November 9, 2019 2:50 AM