none
Using Multiple Standalone Tape Drives for one Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running DPM 2012 (4.0.1915.0)

I have 3 standalone tape drives: 2x LTO5 and 1xLTO4. I'd like to at least use both LTO5 tapes for one protection group. Currently I can get an "Each protection group uses one tape" setup to work, but I want one large protection group that shares all the tapes.

However on the "Modify Group" wizard under the "Select Library and Tape Details" page I can never change the "Drives Allocated" spinner to any number but 1. I can select any of my 3 tape libraries in either the "Library" and "Copy Library" drop downs, but what I want is to select at least the 2 LTO5s and ideally ALL tape libaries to be used by one unified protection group.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the "Drives Allocated" field to allow any number other than 1?

Steve Ware

Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:13 PM

Answers

• HI,

As noted, DPM will only support a single library (including standalone drive) per protection group to be used for backups.  You will need to purchase a tape library that has multiple drives inside before the "Drives Allocated" option is available to choose more than one.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:06 PM