Incomplete Preview/Print Internet Explorer 11 RRS feed

• Question

• Using IE 11, Windows 7 Professional SP1 (all current updates). Screen resolution "normal" or 100% at 1920 x 1080.

Print preview or Print fails to display the "controls" on page 2 and 3 as described in the html below. Neither compatibility mode "10" nor printer selection has any effect. The same problem has been noted with Windows 8.1.

IE 10 used to work.

Sample HTML file:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <meta http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible' content='IE=Edge'/>
    <html>
    <head>
    <style>
     .controls { font-family:MS Sans Serif;font-size:12; }
    </style>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    </script>
    </head>
    <body topmargin='0' leftmargin='0' bgcolor='#E6E6FA'>
    <div style=';left:0px;top:0px;width:817px;height:3169px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFFFFF;'>
    <div style=';left:0px;top:0px;width:815px;height:3167px;border-top:1px solid white;border-left:1px solid white;border-right:1px solid gray;border-bottom:1px solid gray;'>
     <textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal;;left:30px;top:30px;width:192px;height:64px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
     <select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal; ;left:254px;top:30px;width:176px;height:64px;' name='combobox'>
     </select>
     <textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal;;left:46px;top:958px;width:192px;height:64px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
     <select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal; ;left:270px;top:958px;width:176px;height:64px;' name='combobox'>
     </select>
     <textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal;;left:46px;top:2142px;width:192px;height:64px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
     <select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal; ;left:270px;top:2142px;width:176px;height:64px;' name='combobox'>
     </select>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Algae,

This catalog is concentrating on the issue about Internet Explorer `s installation, deployment, configuration, security, group policy, management questions.
    We are not familiar with the html code. Have you tried to post a case in the MSDN Forum as I suggested before?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Algae Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:05 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Algae,

I am not quite sure what is the exact issue here.
    I have tried to save the code you have posted as a .html file and open it both with Internet Explorer 11 and Internet Explorer 10.Then I try the "Print Preview" feature of the browsers,both of them share the same result as below.We would appreciate it if you could explain more details of the issue with the screenshots so that we can help you to resolve the issue more efficently.

One more question,will the issue occur with all the webpages or just the specific webpages developed by yourselves?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 15, 2015 8:18 AM
  • You are correct. I copy/pasted the html to a new file and opened with the browser. My results were identical to yours. It did not illustrate the problem correctly. I will have to revise my test page and post it. My thanks for taking your time to look at this. My apologies for not double-checking my test html code.

*Yes, I do see results similar to my preview output on other web pages besides those I create.
    • Edited by Algae Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Please see code block and screen captures which should illustrate the problem:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <meta http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible' content='IE=Edge'/>
    <html>
    <head>
    <style>
    	.controls { font-family:MS Sans Serif;font-size:12; }
    </style>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    </script>
    </head>
    <body topmargin='0' leftmargin='0' bgcolor='#E6E6FA'>
    <div style=';left:0px;top:0px;width:817px;height:3169px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFFFFF;'>
    <div style=';left:0px;top:0px;width:815px;height:3167px;border-top:1px solid white;border-left:1px solid white;border-right:1px solid gray;border-bottom:1px solid gray;'>
    	<select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal; ;left:302px;top:46px;width:157px;height:24px;' name='combobox'> 
    	<option value='0'></option>
    	</select>
    	<textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal;;left:46px;top:46px;width:224px;height:69px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
    	<select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal; ;left:286px;top:1102px;width:157px;height:24px;' name='combobox'> 
    	</select>
    	<textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal;;left:30px;top:1102px;width:224px;height:69px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
    	<select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal; ;left:302px;top:2158px;width:157px;height:24px;' name='combobox'> 
    	</select>
    	<textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-decoration:normal;;left:46px;top:2158px;width:224px;height:69px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

page 1

Page 2

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:22 PM

• page 3Page 4
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:24 PM
  • Hi Algae,

I have tried to test the new code again both from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines and they share the same results as I tested before.

Please run "iexplore.exe -extoff" to test whether this issue is caused by the specific add-ons.

We also can try to reset the Internet Explorer to get an original settings to have a check.

Tools\ Internet Options\ Advanced \Reset

Best regards

Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Hello MeipoXu,

I followed your instructions and ran IE both with -extoff option and then Reset, restarted computer without effect.

However, I discovered why our results differ by performing a file compare on the html code I posted with my local code.

position : absolute was removed from each of the style= lines in the code! I am not sure why but it is always removed unless there are spaces before and after the ":".

For instance, this:

<div style=';

Should be:

<div style='position : absolute;left:0px;

The code parser for html appears to filter it out. I don't know why the code is tossed but it's essential in illustrating the problem. I hope this helps in reproducing the issue.

Thank you so much for continuing to stick to this.

• Edited by Algae Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:48 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Anybody? Fix? Tip? Go back to IE 10?

Too bad you can't use IE 10 with Win 8.1

Even compatibility mode with IE 11 does not work.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:27 AM
  • Hi Algae,

Will the issue only occur with the website developed by yourself? Have you tried the F12 tool?
    Press F12 , choose "Emulation", configure Document mode "10", User agent string "Internet Explorer 10".

I am not familiar with the the html code. If this issue is related to the html code, we can try to ask for help from our MSDN Forum.
    Windows Dev Center
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?category=iedevelopment

Best regards

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:07 AM
  • Anybody? Fix? Tip? Go back to IE 10?

Too bad you can't use IE 10 with Win 8.1

Even compatibility mode with IE 11 does not work.

The x-ua meta tag must be in the HEAD block.

the f12 console should show an error that the parser encountered an unexpected head opening tag and was restarted. Validate and correct your markup errors at http://validator.w3.org/nu

Post questions about html, css and scripting for website development to http://stackoverflow.com (Internet Explorer forums).

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:22 AM
  • Thank you for the reply MeipoXu.

I am able to duplicate the problem with any web page where the preview extends past a "printable" page (8.5 x 11 inches) and contains element(s) that use absolute positioning.

I tested the html code using F12 and set Emulation to Document mode 10 and User Agent String to "Internet Explorer 10" per instruction. The preview fails as described before.

If I use the actual Internet Explorer 10 it functions properly.

Apparently something in the rendering engine has changed from Internet Explorer version 10 to 11 with regard to absolute positioning, even when using Compatibility/Emulation mode.

I notice that "Gecko" based browsers (Firefox) fail similarly.

"Blink" based browsers, notably Chrome, are functional.

• Edited by Algae Saturday, July 11, 2015 5:40 PM
    Saturday, July 11, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Thank you Rob.

I corrected the meta tag placing it in the head block as you noted. Using F12, the emulation code appears to function properly without error but still did not correct the print preview rendering issue.

I'll try stackoverflow.

Saturday, July 11, 2015 5:47 PM
  • Open the page in IE and select the view source menu.

select the source (ctrl+a) and copy it to the clipboard.(ctrl+c)

go to http://validator.w3.org/nu

and select Check by: text input

Paste your source into the text area that opens up.

Then press the Check button.... correct the errors as indicated.

If you are using Visual Studio (Pro, Community versions). select the view>error lists menu.... this will list any markup errors that you have in your markup (nearly equivalent to the w3 validation service above.)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Sunday, July 12, 2015 6:40 AM
  • With all due respect, how can this possibly be the answer?

With strict compliance to elements (via validator.w3.org) corrected Meta tag placement and krufting "position : absolute" with spaces to retain them in the forum editor, the print/preview issue remains a problem with IE.11.

Or does this mean there is no fix intended for absolute positioning of elements? See example:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible' content='IE=edge'/>
    <title>Test</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div style=''>
    <div style='position : absolute;left:0px;top:0px;width:817px;height:3169px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFFFFF;'>
    <div style='position : absolute;left:0px;top:0px;width:815px;height:3167px;border-top:1px solid white;border-left:1px solid white;border-right:1px solid gray;border-bottom:1px solid gray;'>
    	<select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;position : absolute;left:302px;top:46px;width:157px;height:24px;' name='combobox'> 
    	<option value='0'>one</option>
    	</select>
    	<textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;position : absolute;left:46px;top:46px;width:224px;height:69px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
    	<select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;position : absolute;left:286px;top:1102px;width:157px;height:24px;' name='combobox'> 
    	</select>
    	<textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;position : absolute;left:30px;top:1102px;width:224px;height:69px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
    	<select style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;position : absolute;left:302px;top:2158px;width:157px;height:24px;' name='combobox'> 
    	</select>
    	<textarea style='font-family:Times New Roman;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;position : absolute;left:46px;top:2158px;width:224px;height:69px;' name='editbox'></textarea>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

Saturday, July 18, 2015 6:54 PM
  • Hi Algae,

This catalog is concentrating on the issue about Internet Explorer `s installation, deployment, configuration, security, group policy, management questions.
    We are not familiar with the html code. Have you tried to post a case in the MSDN Forum as I suggested before?

Best regards

• Marked as answer by Algae Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:05 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 1:22 AM
  • Hello MeipoXu,

I'm sorry. I must have missed that. I was not aware that I was posting in the wrong place.

You are correct that the issue has nothing to do with installation or configuration. I thought I was on MSDN :)

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:08 PM