replacing Windows Mail when upgradeing to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• looking for recommendations for an email program to replace Windows Mail after upgrading to W7 which has reasonable functionality but, more importantly, doesn't loose anything in the process.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:37 PM

Answers

• To import Windows Mail messages to Windows Live Mail, let’s perform the following main steps:

1. In Windows Vista, to export the messages from Windows Mail into a new folder, please follow these steps:

1) Open Windows Mail.
    2) On the File menu, point to Export, and then click Messages.
    3) In the Windows Mail Export Wizard, click Microsoft Exchange, and click the Next.

4) Click on Browse.
    5) Select a location and click Select Folder.
    6) Select All Folders and click the Next.

Note: Wait for the Export to finish and the prompt 'Your messages were exported in Windows Mail format'.

7) Click Finish.

2. Copy the exported messages folder to the desktop in Windows 7.
    3. In Windows 7, to import the messages to Windows Live Mail, please take the following steps:

1) Open Windows Live Mail in Windows 7.
    2) On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.

3) In the Windows Live Mail Import box, select Windows Mail, and click the Next.

4) Click on Browse.

5) Navigate to the exported messages and click OK.

7) Click the Finish.

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:57 AM

All replies

• You can stay with Windows Mail if you want: Windows Live Mail .

From the little I can find on migrating from Windows Mail to anything else, the process can be tedious. Apparently, you have to export and import each mail folder individually, no way that I saw to do it all at one time.

Thunderbird is a good alternative as is SeaMonkey (browser, mail, IRC, web designer , all-in-one suite).

Rich
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:46 AM
  • To import Windows Mail messages to Windows Live Mail, let’s perform the following main steps:

1. In Windows Vista, to export the messages from Windows Mail into a new folder, please follow these steps:

1) Open Windows Mail.
    2) On the File menu, point to Export, and then click Messages.
    3) In the Windows Mail Export Wizard, click Microsoft Exchange, and click the Next.

4) Click on Browse.
    5) Select a location and click Select Folder.

Note: Wait for the Export to finish and the prompt 'Your messages were exported in Windows Mail format'.

7) Click Finish.

2. Copy the exported messages folder to the desktop in Windows 7.
    3. In Windows 7, to import the messages to Windows Live Mail, please take the following steps:

1) Open Windows Live Mail in Windows 7.
    2) On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.

3) In the Windows Live Mail Import box, select Windows Mail, and click the Next.

4) Click on Browse.

5) Navigate to the exported messages and click OK.

7) Click the Finish.

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:57 AM
  • I am running windows mail on a Vista machine and each time I try to export the messages using Microsoft Exchange, I get a message stating that "The export could not be performed.  An error occurred while initializing MAPI".

I have tried exporting using Windows Mail protocol, but not everything makes it to the import on my Win7 machine Windows Live Mail.  I've tried importing both as Windows Live and Windows Live Mail protocols.

I checked the storage folder on Vista Windows Mail and found it in C:\Users\...\Outlook Express Data, but not all of the email messages are there.  When exporting, I have 1.9gigs of messages and from what I see, all of the folders appear to be copying, but when I import them to Win7 Windows Live Mail, almost none of newer folders and messages are there.

My export storage folder is on an external USB hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:02 PM