Can't save email to network share in MS 2016 Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

Whenever I try to save an email with or without attachments to a network share drive I get the following error message:

"The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

In event viewer I see this:

Microsoft Outlook

The operation failed.  The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

P1: 301670

P2: 16.0.8528.2147

P3:

P4: 0x80004005

Note this doesn't happen on non MS 2016 Office 365 servers.

• Moved by Steve Fan Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:21 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In which format did you try to save the messages to? What if we try to save the messages to local drive and then move the saved messages to the network share drive?

>>Note this doesn't happen on non MS 2016 Office 365 servers.

By this, do you mean this issue doesn't happen when testing with a MSI version of Office 2016? 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:32 AM
  • I know this may sound like a no brainer, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office 365?

We were having a similar problem at my job, people couldn't save to their network drives, getting the same "operation failed" error. We tried the online repair but that didn't work, we tried opening in safe mode and nada. After this and that, we finally decided to uninstall Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus from "Programs and Features" then reinstall it from Software Center and voila. The users were immediately able to save to their network drive.

It may be worth giving a shot if you haven't already.

Best of luck,

Dom the Tech Guy

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, December 29, 2017 9:55 AM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:50 PM