how to predefine folders behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

please could someon advise on if and how the following can be changed in Win7?

1) When I create a new folder or file, or rename a file, this is immediately sorted in alphabetical or any other order that is currently in use for that folder. In Win XP, the new item stayed where it was created / renamed until the folder was reopened, which I find more practical (I can use the new / renamed item immediately, don't have to locate it again before I open it or copy something in there). Is there a solution to disable this "auto-sorting" in Win 7?

2) In Win XP, it was possible to choose to apply the settings (e.g. list view, sorting by date etc.) of an opened folder to all folders using the Folder Options menu. It seems this option is missing from that menu in Win7. How can I achieve this global change?

Thank you!
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hey Tomas2007,

If you look around the forums, you're going to find you're not alone in wanting these two features back.  Unfortunately, Microsoft decided to cut that code out of the OS, I guess to make room for the pretty pictures and confusingly-transparent window borders and other fluff.  Window 7 only remembers the settings and position of the last explorer window you closed, so ... no need to apply changes to all folders.  No way to turn off auto-arrange, either.

It's a shame.  Functionality has been sacrificed all over the place ... start menu, multiple taskbars, window settings, manual arrangement of folder objects, titles on windows, basic menus, ahhh ... the list goes on.  Sure looks pretty, and very Mac-like, but nowhere near the functionality we were used-to in MS Operating Systems.

Sorry I couldn't offer more positive help.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hello,

please could someon advise on if and how the following can be changed in Win7?

1) When I create a new folder or file, or rename a file, this is immediately sorted in alphabetical or any other order that is currently in use for that folder. In Win XP, the new item stayed where it was created / renamed until the folder was reopened, which I find more practical (I can use the new / renamed item immediately, don't have to locate it again before I open it or copy something in there). Is there a solution to disable this "auto-sorting" in Win 7?

2) In Win XP, it was possible to choose to apply the settings (e.g. list view, sorting by date etc.) of an opened folder to all folders using the Folder Options menu. It seems this option is missing from that menu in Win7. How can I achieve this global change?

Thank you!

No , like PVS said , there is alot that has been removed from windows 7. Even the free space deal in the bottem left of explorer. Arnt ya happy you got your brand spanking new dummy downed fisher priced pretty pictures and all now arnt ya? Pay more for less thats the spirit.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Crazy...

While looking around the web a bit, I discovered this (as per my second point):
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-folder-options#section_3

- unbelievable that it is possible to replicate list, tiles etc. layout to other folders, but not so the sorting order... Could any MSFT user please explain why this was omitted, while the former option is provided? What is the programming / coding difference? Thanks.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 1:44 AM