none
Issues upgrading from DPM 2012 RC (evaluation, expired) to DPM 2012 RTM full RRS feed

• Question

• I go through the installation process, run the prerequisites check with dedicated SQL server instance selected. When I get to product registration, I input my license key, which it accepts, then continue on. When it gets to the Installation settings, it immediately pops up with error ID 843: Verify that the instance of SQL server is not an expired Evaluation Edition. (It is.) After seeing this, I proceed to cancel the installation, and then attempt to reinstall SQL server 2008 R2 separately. However unlike the System Center DPM 2012 installer, the SQL Server standalone installer does not accept my System Center Standard product key directly for upgrade.

How do I properly upgrade from my expired 2012 RC evaluation to my paid 2012 RTM Standard license without losing any of my configuration?

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:46 PM

Answers

• The only way you can upgrade from RC to RTM is an in place upgrade. Having said that, what it means in your situation is to rebuild your server (format, build OS and the RC build of DPM), then attach the backed up DPM DB of the RC build and the upgrade to RTM.

1. Backup the current DB files

2. Rebuild the server and then install DPM to the RC build. (hopefully you have the installer, AFAIK the installers are no longer available for public download)

3. Stop the DPM services, detach the new DPM DB from SQL and attach the backed up DB.

4. run dpmsync -sync to get DPM RC in running state. .

5. Upgrade to RTM

Hope this helps

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:54 PM

All replies

• The only way you can upgrade from RC to RTM is an in place upgrade. Having said that, what it means in your situation is to rebuild your server (format, build OS and the RC build of DPM), then attach the backed up DPM DB of the RC build and the upgrade to RTM.

1. Backup the current DB files

2. Rebuild the server and then install DPM to the RC build. (hopefully you have the installer, AFAIK the installers are no longer available for public download)

3. Stop the DPM services, detach the new DPM DB from SQL and attach the backed up DB.

4. run dpmsync -sync to get DPM RC in running state. .

5. Upgrade to RTM

Hope this helps

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:54 PM
  • I had an offsite server that I had missed during my upgrade to RTM process that I had let expire. I was able to change the date and time back to before the evaluation expired and the SQL 2008 instance was able to start up and then was upgraded during the normal upgrade process.
    Monday, December 17, 2012 8:48 PM
  • DONT do things like reinstalling server, etc (this is insane). Just set the clock in server backwards (when eval period was usable), start the service (SQL with EVAL) and go-go-go ! :)

Be real

Monday, January 20, 2014 12:45 PM