RRAS VPN server configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am creating a RRAS VPN server for my lab (Windows 2003). Eventually Im having a hard time configuring it. I know that RRAS VPN server has two NICS. One facing the internet and one facing the LAN. THe problem is, I have my modem from my ISP which distributes Private IP address. So my RRAS server has a private IP coming from my ISP Modem and the other one is Private IP address which I implemented for my LAN. Kindly help me how RRAS server can be access in the internet. I tried to check my public ip in whatismyIP.com, and put it in the NIC connecting to my ISP modem but to no avail. 

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

“So my RRAS server has a private IP coming from my ISP Modem and the other one is Private IP address which I implemented for my LAN”—Your “modem” seems is  a “router build-in”modem, that means your modem have the router function, there  you must design your network architecture like the following simple structure.

Your family LAN if want to use the RRAS as router:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modem LAN interface ->RRAS WAN interface ->

Client cable-> RRAS LAN interface or the connected switch.

====================================================

All client default gateway and DNS point to RRAS LAN interface.

The RRAS WAN point the DNS and default way to the modem LAN interface IP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to use the VPN connect  to your family LAN , you must put your RRAS serer at the DMZ zone list.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by Alex Lv Friday, August 23, 2013 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Friday, August 23, 2013 8:49 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 1:31 AM

All replies

• You may see my diagram for your reference. Kindly help me guys!

ISP -- ISP MODEM --- NIC facing the modem-- RRAS Server --- NIC facing my LAN ---- LAN SWITCH --- AD

NIC facing my modem= 172.16.0.1 (IP provided by my ISP modem's DHCP)

NIC Facing my LAN = 192.168.0.1

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

“So my RRAS server has a private IP coming from my ISP Modem and the other one is Private IP address which I implemented for my LAN”—Your “modem” seems is  a “router build-in”modem, that means your modem have the router function, there  you must design your network architecture like the following simple structure.

Your family LAN if want to use the RRAS as router:

Modem LAN interface ->RRAS WAN interface ->

Client cable-> RRAS LAN interface or the connected switch.

====================================================

All client default gateway and DNS point to RRAS LAN interface.

The RRAS WAN point the DNS and default way to the modem LAN interface IP.

If you want to use the VPN connect  to your family LAN , you must put your RRAS serer at the DMZ zone list.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by Alex Lv Friday, August 23, 2013 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Friday, August 23, 2013 8:49 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 1:31 AM