Error occur while changing path for DB & FSG in Exchange 2007 CCR Scenario RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup Cluster Continuious Replication Scenario for Mailbox role with Exchange 2007 SP3. In order to installation, the first storage group and its database is mounted with the default path. I have configured Active-Passive clustering using Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition SP1 X64bit. I have attached storage into my cluster environment. I configured Quorum as well.  My clustring is configured for Active-Passive failover.

Now, I want to know how to move default path of First Storage Group and its Database.

I tried to move those, with unmount database. but it doesn't work. It shows me an error as per below:

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:00

Mailbox Database
    Failed

Error:
    This operation cannot be performed on a remote server or a clustered mailbox server in a cluster continuous replication environment. Please use the -ConfigurationOnly option and then manually move the files.
    Parameter name: ConfigurationOnly

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    move-DatabasePath -Identity 'CCR\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database' -EdbFilePath 'S:\EXDB\Mailbox Database.edb'

Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

Please give me a solution.

Bhavyang R Patwari https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/vbcserver/bhavyangraj/profile
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hi

To move a storage group to an alternate location prior to installing the passive node

1.     Open the Exchange Management Shell.

2.     Run the following command:

Copy Code

Move-StorageGroupPath -Identity:<Server\StorageGroupName> -LogFolderPath:<FullPathforLogFiles> -SystemFolderPath:<FullPathforSystemFiles> -ConfigurationOnly:$true

3.     A confirmation prompt appears that asks you to confirm that you want to perform the move action. Type Y and then press ENTER.

4.     A second confirmation prompt appears that indicates that the database in the storage group must be dismounted in order for the move operation to occur. Type Y and then press ENTER.

5.     After you perform this procedure, the database is in a dismounted state. If you also want to move the default location for the database file, leave the database dismounted and perform the procedure below. If you do not want to move the location of the database file, mount the database using either the Exchange Management Console or the Mount-Database cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell.

To move a database to an alternate location prior to installing the passive node

1.     Use Windows Explorer to move the original default database (Mailbox Database.edb) from its original location to its new location. The default location of the first storage group is a subdirectory of the Exchange installation directory, such as \Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group.

2.     After the move is complete, open the Exchange Management Shell.

3.     Run the following command:

Copy Code

Move-DatabasePath -Identity:<Server\StorageGroupName\DatabaseName> -EdbFilePath:<FullPathandFileNameforDatabaseFile> -ConfigurationOnly:$true

4.     A confirmation prompt appears that asks you to confirm that you want to perform the move action. Type Y and then press ENTER.

5.     Open the Exchange Management Console.

6.     In the console tree, expand Server Configuration and then click Mailbox.

7.     In the result pane, select the clustered mailbox server.

8.     In the work pane, expand First Storage Group and then select the mailbox database.

9.     In the action pane, click Mount database.

You can read detail from this KB

How to Move a Storage Group and Its Database in a CCR Environment

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:41 AM

All replies

• did you followed this,..

Exchange 2007 CCR Moving Storage Group: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996391%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx 

Exchange 2007 CCR Moving Database: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997646%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx

Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi

To move a storage group to an alternate location prior to installing the passive node

1.     Open the Exchange Management Shell.

2.     Run the following command:

Copy Code

Move-StorageGroupPath -Identity:<Server\StorageGroupName> -LogFolderPath:<FullPathforLogFiles> -SystemFolderPath:<FullPathforSystemFiles> -ConfigurationOnly:$true

3.     A confirmation prompt appears that asks you to confirm that you want to perform the move action. Type Y and then press ENTER.

4.     A second confirmation prompt appears that indicates that the database in the storage group must be dismounted in order for the move operation to occur. Type Y and then press ENTER.

5.     After you perform this procedure, the database is in a dismounted state. If you also want to move the default location for the database file, leave the database dismounted and perform the procedure below. If you do not want to move the location of the database file, mount the database using either the Exchange Management Console or the Mount-Database cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell.

To move a database to an alternate location prior to installing the passive node

1.     Use Windows Explorer to move the original default database (Mailbox Database.edb) from its original location to its new location. The default location of the first storage group is a subdirectory of the Exchange installation directory, such as \Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group.

2.     After the move is complete, open the Exchange Management Shell.

3.     Run the following command:

Copy Code

Move-DatabasePath -Identity:<Server\StorageGroupName\DatabaseName> -EdbFilePath:<FullPathandFileNameforDatabaseFile> -ConfigurationOnly:$true

4.     A confirmation prompt appears that asks you to confirm that you want to perform the move action. Type Y and then press ENTER.

5.     Open the Exchange Management Console.

6.     In the console tree, expand Server Configuration and then click Mailbox.

7.     In the result pane, select the clustered mailbox server.

8.     In the work pane, expand First Storage Group and then select the mailbox database.

9.     In the action pane, click Mount database.

You can read detail from this KB

How to Move a Storage Group and Its Database in a CCR Environment

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:41 AM