none
Internet Explorer 11 Keeps failing in Wiondows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• After a recent update on my system, my internet explorer 11  has failed to open in Windows 10  and I get the error message. "A problem with this web page has caused internet explorer to close and reopen". So it goes through this two times, then diverts to another window and basically closes out. I have tried numerous links for information on how to fix this problem and all seem to fail for me. I've spent hours trying to solve this problem, when I know it may be an easy fix. This is frustrating. I have to open internet explorer 11 as an administrator then all is well, but that is my only option at this time. It seems the system is trying to get me to migrate to Microsoft Edge as my browser, but I want to continue to use IE 11.
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:47 PM

Answers

• have tried numerous links for information on how to fix this problem and all seem to fail for me.
    Unless you tell us the results you are going to get the same suggestions all over again.  Try No Add-ons mode?  Safe mode?  If those weren't enough to prevent the crash you would have to do "clean-boot troubleshooting", including uninstalling potential causes.  Such analysis might be expedited if you are getting APPCRASH events; then you could look for .WER files and check for lists of loaded modules.  Etc.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Hortman2 Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:16 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• have tried numerous links for information on how to fix this problem and all seem to fail for me.
    Unless you tell us the results you are going to get the same suggestions all over again.  Try No Add-ons mode?  Safe mode?  If those weren't enough to prevent the crash you would have to do "clean-boot troubleshooting", including uninstalling potential causes.  Such analysis might be expedited if you are getting APPCRASH events; then you could look for .WER files and check for lists of loaded modules.  Etc.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Hortman2 Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Appear that this issue was caused by incorrect permission on system files.

Have you tried to recreate a new user account on this PC to check the issue?

Also, we can use Process monitor to solve such issue when you can only run some application as admin well.

Process Monitor v3.05
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Solving Access Denied Errors Using Process Monitor
    http://improve.dk/solving-access-denied-errors-using-process-monitor/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 30, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Thanks Robert, I disabled all the add-ons, rebooted and still had the same error message "A problem with this web page has caused internet explorer to close and reopen".  Then I went into IE11, opened tools, then internet options, then advanced tab, security, then enabled "Enhanced Protection Mode" and clicked OK. After a re-boot, this seems to have fixed my problem. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. 
    • Marked as answer by Hortman2 Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Hortman2 Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:56 PM
    Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:50 PM
  • I downloaded Process Monitor, but since I am not a computer programmer, I was unable to understand how to find the appropriate system files as instructed. I'm afraid Process Monitor is too advanced for the novice computer user. Although I have a Ph.D. and am not a total idiot, I'm afraid computer programming was not my field or forte. I could probably learn how to use process  monitor with patience and a lot of documentation reading. 
    Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:55 PM
  • could probably learn how to use process  monitor with patience and a lot of documentation reading. 

Meanwhile here are a few tips.  You have two cases, one which works and one which fails.  That is a great advantage to have when analyzing traces because you don't have to know what you are looking at, only be able to look for differences in two sets of data which presumably are otherwise identical.  Note that when you save a trace ProcMon gives you the option of saving it as a .PML file and when you open that you can do it in its own window.  So, you can have two windows for your two cases and each can have its own filtering.  The particular filter you would want to use for your case is Result IS NOT SUCCESS (or similar).  You can use the Count Occurrences tool to actually get a list of the possible values for any particular filtering; so if you turn off all filters and use Count Occurrences you can get all possible values.   Then once you find an event that you would like to get more information for you can just set a bookmark for it (Ctrl-b) or just make it the currently selected one and turn off all the filters (or change the filters in some other more useful way), then go back to find out what other events preceded that one.  Etc.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 2, 2017 4:31 PM
    Answerer