Sharepoint wont stop inheriting? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been setting up my sharepoint server and I have a site that is inherited from the top site but I want to stop that;

I did the following: Site Actions, Site Permissions, Stop Inheriting.

The website now has unique permissions but I cant get it to not show up in my test user account. Why is that am I missing a step. The reason I think it is still inheriting is I see my AD Group in the site I dont want it to be in; so I remove it (under Team Site Members) but when I do that it removes it from the top site too.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:21 PM

Answers

• Groups are at the site collection, no matter where you edit them at. If you want to have a group just for that site you will need to create a new one. You can't use the team members group differently in two sites.
    hope that helps,
    SharePointNinja
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:55 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Ok, looks like you are a little bit confused about SharePoint Groups.

A little clarification
    =============
    Parent Site: Site A
    Child Site with unique permissions: Site B

Team Site Members is only a SharePoint group. (A SharePoint container where AD User and AD Groups can be added into)
    ===============

Team Site Members belongs to Site A, even after you have stopped the permission inheritance. At this stage, Team Site Members is still part of both Site A and Site B. If you remove a user or AD group from Team Site Members, if means both Site A and Site B would be affected.

What you need to do is to remove Team Site Members from Site B. Perhaps create a new SharePoint group (Site B Members) and only add AD users/groups in Site B Members as needed. In that case, you would achieve unique permission in Site B. Also remove anyother SharePoint groups interited from Site A if you don't want users into those groups to access Site B.

Hope that helps.

Allen Wang | http://blogs.msdn.com/allenwang
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:33 AM

All replies

• Groups are at the site collection, no matter where you edit them at. If you want to have a group just for that site you will need to create a new one. You can't use the team members group differently in two sites.
    hope that helps,
    SharePointNinja
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Ok, looks like you are a little bit confused about SharePoint Groups.

A little clarification
    =============
    Parent Site: Site A
    Child Site with unique permissions: Site B

Team Site Members is only a SharePoint group. (A SharePoint container where AD User and AD Groups can be added into)
    ===============

Team Site Members belongs to Site A, even after you have stopped the permission inheritance. At this stage, Team Site Members is still part of both Site A and Site B. If you remove a user or AD group from Team Site Members, if means both Site A and Site B would be affected.

What you need to do is to remove Team Site Members from Site B. Perhaps create a new SharePoint group (Site B Members) and only add AD users/groups in Site B Members as needed. In that case, you would achieve unique permission in Site B. Also remove anyother SharePoint groups interited from Site A if you don't want users into those groups to access Site B.

Hope that helps.

Allen Wang | http://blogs.msdn.com/allenwang
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Thanks!
    Computer Systems Network Tech
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:00 PM