Configuring Mail Flow Synthetic Transactions for single Exchange 2007 site - Is is worth it? RRS feed

• Question

• We've got a single Exchange 2007 server that has all the roles on the one box. We receive all our email from an upstream SMTP box, running Linux. Is it even worth it to configure Mail Flow Synthetic Transactions for such a configuration?
    Orange County District Attorney
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:23 PM

Answers

• as all exchange components are on the only exchange server some of the checks dont have a point. But you could configure a check with a mailbox on Internet, to check the whole mail flow for external communication.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:39 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• as all exchange components are on the only exchange server some of the checks dont have a point. But you could configure a check with a mailbox on Internet, to check the whole mail flow for external communication.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:39 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:37 PM
  • That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of that one. I'll take a look at that.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:39 PM
  • By default the Exchange server will run mail flow local. Basically send a piece of mail from a mailbox on the local server to the same mailbox on the server.  This message will actually travel out the Mailbox server to the hub server and back again.  This will tell you whether generic mailflow is working.  If you have a single site, then the local is almost the equivalent of sending it between servers in the same site.  The only extra case that between servers gets is making sure your hub servers have not become isolated from certian mailbox servers.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:08 PM
  • That works for me. I went through the Wizard to configure Inter-Organization Mail Flow monitoring but it didn't like that the source and destination servers were the same. I can live with the default mail flow monitoring.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:11 PM